Are you older than dirt?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, Jun 19, 2009.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I still do that with bacon drippings! Added to my jar last night. It's all about the flavor man!

I also make my own cracklins, which is another way of saying I render my own lard. The lard keeps for a long time, and is wonderful for frying and baking. Use this in your biscuits, its the best!

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can fry chicken that tastes a hell of a lot better than Popeyes or Church's. Its just that I almost never do it. Too easy to drive through the drive up window. I do frequently fry fish n the Frydaddy but the trouble with saving that grease is that acquires a fishy taste so I always use fresh oil

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I always save the bacon grease. Its the only thing to use to make a roux

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Wow, what a nostalgic trip down memory lane this thread is providing. Very well written I might add, LSUGradin1999. Are you sure you are a 1999 grad? b/c that makes me at least 10 years older than you and you sure have some memories locked away. i guess, a failing memory supports that i am older than you and older than dirt, eh?

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

considering his post started with

i'd say maybe reading comprehension is one of the first things to go? :hihi:

sorry, i couldnt resist!

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I graduated from the eighth grade in 1968 in New Orleans, but went the first six grades in Galveston, Texas. I was an altar boy when the mass was in Latin...I am older than dirt...I suppose.

The thing that stands out about my boyhood, that wasn't mentioned in that e-mail was how much time I spent outside. We only came inside to go to the bathroom and eat...that was it!! We had to come in when the street lights came on, and even then we didn't want to. My mom used to yell down the street for us to come home.

As a consequence I was as dark as possible. My mother remembers asking me how my first day at school was (first grade, St Patrick school, Galveston, Texas) and she swears that my answer was "Mom, I'm the darkest one in the class...except for Jose! Jose wasn't the only Mexican in my class...just the only one darker than me.

1 person likes this.
  7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

nice. i guess i did not process that. definitely getting old.:lol:

8. KerryS

KerryS Founding Member

Esso anyone? Delaware Punch maybe? Pixie Sticks and Chocolate Soldiers. Wax harmonicas at Halloween. Anyone ever watch Yancey Derringer? If you know who Tom Terrific is, you are older than dirt.

9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Count Macabre.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

For you BR peeps how about Buckskin Bill? Or Shock Theater on Saturday Nights?