Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PaulP, Sep 18, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Too many of our LSU fans are underestimating this UGA team, by proclaiming a victory, if not an easy victory, by LSU. Is this a sign of ignorance? Wishful thinking?

It's obvious that this LSU team has not been tested so far this year. Most of our players have not had to play a full 60 mins., due to three straight blow outs. While Georgia has proved that they can dominate an SEC opponent(S. Carolina), we have not. Futhermore, our first SEC game is against last year's SEC champs, who killed Arkansas in the SECCG. These kids are good.

Don't get me wrong, I think LSU has a very good chance of winning this game if we have a nearly flawless game.

My prediction:

LSU 26
    UGA 24

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

What are we expected to do? Expect a loss? That's what the Saints are for! :)

3. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

I never expect LSU to lose to anyone. I just think we should show a little more respect for the good teams that we play, especially good SEC teams.

4. nolatiger

nolatiger Founding Member

I actually disagree. I find that many LSU faithful aren't too confident. I actually believe LSU is the one being underestimated. I sincerely believe LSU has more talent and depth than UGA. Although some of our player are a little raw, trust me, they will be ready to play come Saturday. Our team speed is the best its been EVER. Speed kills, and this will be the most speed UGA sees all year. All we need is for Mauck to get the time to simply do his job and we will win big. Trust me, all Matt will have to do is put the ball into the hands of our skill players and then watch what happens. Plus if the o-line is playing up to their talent, we will be able to run, which means long sustained drives which keeps the UGA offense off of the field. I believe this will happen. UGA is a great team, but they are the ones who are overconfident. They don't have a clue as to how good and quick the Tigers really are.

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I think it's not only a superior level of athleticism and talent, I think it's a superior level of coaching on BOTH sides of the ball...

Don't think Jimbo's not out to show the world that Poppa Bowden's OC isn't any better than Terry Bowden's former OC...

This is a chess match to be sure...They've got athletes, but we've got more. They had more success last year in a down year in the SEC East.

We should be in our third straight year of SEC dominance, save for our quarterback injury and loss of continuity on offense. Remember, we were ONE PLAY away from being the only team other than Alabama from representing the SEC West two years in a row in Atlanta...

It's not overconfidence, my friends...it's the last vestiges of the nattering nabobs of negativism leaving our program and its fanbase...FOR GOOD.

Lesse Le Bon Temps Roulez....

It begins Saturday at 2:30 for the players....It's already begun for the fans...

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are a lot of blind optimists on both sides, if you ask me. Some are making good points, some are just pumping sunshine.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

As opposed to others...who make no point other than to just sit on the sidelines and "observe"...or should I say, take cynical shots at those who don't choose to bridle their exuberance, yet back it up with sound opinions and logical thought processes?

It's a forum man...weigh in with what you think about the game...or are you "skeered" red?

Get out of the rocking chair, my man...

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

TE, I've made many posts about the game in many threads. Use the search, you'll find 'em. My point on this thread is that fans from both teams are being wildly optimistic, not just LSU fans.

And you are starting to sound like TNT, amigo! Get a hold of yourself man! Quote marks are appearing. Just keep your hands away from those emoticons.

But, I wouldn't dream of bridling your exuberence, rave on. I'm feeling pretty good about this game myself, in fact I haven't felt this good about a big game in a very long time. Tell you what, you be the pompous boaster and I'll be the cynical observer. And we'll perform both jobs with enthusiasm.

9. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

... and 5 loses away from representing the SEC West in the BCSCG... and 9 loses away from representing the SEC West in the BCSCG two years in a row...and 14 loses away from representing the SEC West in the BCSCG three years in a row...and on and on...

There are many reasons why teams all over the country don't play up to their potential each year. That's college football. The real good teams are able to overcome their setbacks and win big games.

Like I said earlier, if we don't execute flawlessly Saturday, it could be a long day.

:geaux:

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Tell you what. Take a couple days off. Do a little fishin. Come back Sunday and we'll tell you what happened. Or...you could stay here and shut the f**k up.