Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PaulP, Sep 18, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Easy cheetah! Let's not start throwing four letter words around. We're supposed to be on the same team.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I already apologized.:(

Cheetah?:D

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Paul,

You claim we're supposed to be on the same team, but then start making ludicrous arguments, and then not basing them on anything but, "Real teams overcome obstacles"...

Hell, man...We DID overcome the loss of our starting quarterback...We were ONE PLAY away from repeating as the SECW champions, and we actually WERE Western Division Champions...

Whether you think so or not, if we got to Atlanta, and put on a similar performance with a BACKUP quarterback (The way we had to win LAST time), we win AGAIN...

Then, we represent the SEC in the SEC BCS Bowl Game...

We were a lot closer than you think, and you forget the obstacles we overcame in 01 to get there...We were ONE blown play away from doing it all over again, my friend...

You see the glass as half empty...and I dare say barely with a drop of water in it...I see the damn thing as brimming full of the P&G colored Crown Royal Reserve...

Perhaps you better check which team you root for, and learn to look at things from a positive aspect every now and then...

This team was the SEC Western Division champion last year, with the loss of our two most important players on BOTH sides of the ball...We were ONE play away...How is that negative? ONE play...Not 5 losses or 1 loss or 9 losses or whatever you're raving about like some madman...

4. SabanFan

He was bringin' me DOWN man - Tommy Chong

5. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

Tigeredu,

Look man, realize that we have a tough game ahead of us and quit making excuses for years past. You remind me of these UT fans that I deal with year-in and year-out, always talkin' 'bout, "well if so and so would have...and had we not...we would have won".

Don't question my loyalty to LSU and don't tell me how my glass is filled. I'm a realist.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

PaulP, I think you make some valid points because the overall feelings around here are overwhelmingly optimistic. I'm very confident about the game but I realize that I also felt very confident about the 31-28 Auburn game, the 28-27 Georgia game, and even when Bama shut us out at home when Herb got hurt (among many others). I think we've learned by past history what a tough loss can do to the psychology of a team and there aren't many easy games from here on out. Although I can't see a loss this weekend starting a tailspin like it did after the 28-27 game, I also didn't see it coming then. I guess I'm just cautiously optimistic while others may not be as cautious. I think people forget that ONE PLAY can decide a game. For instance, if Addai has more fumblitis early in the game and Georgia goes up quick it could be all over. I believe LSU is the better team at this point in the season but the better team doesn't always win.

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Saban's style of coaching has been building to this moment, even if we lose. I don't expect to see the Tigers have a meltdown with a loss to Georgia on Sat, nor do I see us making it the game of the year . . . by beating Georgia only to lose to Miss St the following week.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is nothing wrong with the fans being wildly optimistic. I, for one am pretty damn glad we have something to feel wildly optimistic about after the Curley and DiNardo years. No matter how fans feel about it what matters is how the players approach the game. They are the ones who will have to do it on the field and I am wildly optimistic that Nick Saban will have them ready to go. As much as we might be screaming ourselves hoarse and arguing about it on this forum and with our friends none of us are going to throw or catch a single pass, make a single block or tackle, fumble or make or miss a single field goal. Is it probable that the Tigers will go undefeated and win the NC? No. Is it possible? As of right now they are still undefeated so anything is possible. Unlike the year when LSU was ranked and the season went to hell after losing a close one to Georgia, I have a feeling that this years team is a special bunch. Sure the so called experts say that next year will be the Tigers year it is not unknown for a team to put it all together a year early and surprise everybody. Oklahoma did it in 2000 and Ohio State did it last year. Why not LSU this year? Of course how me or anybody else feels about it whether positive or negative won't have a damn thing to do with what happens on the field on Saturday afternoon. I sure hope I am still feeling this good by 5:30 or 6 PM this Saturday.

9. GMTarondor

GMTarondor Founding Member

The belief level

Where is our belief level!

I am a rabid LSU fan win or lose. I follow most of the sporting programs at LSU. However, LSU football is my passion. In that respect I think LSU has been a program with enough talent on hand to be dangerous every year. But the belief level has never been so high than it is now. At least not for the last 20 years. We can only attribute this to Nick Saban.

So where am I now, where are you now and where is the national media with regards to the beleif level. The belief that LSU finally has the program and the coaching to win it all. I must say I'm about 85% there. A win against Georgia will go far with me. It will go far with the national media as well. They feel, and I do at times, that LSU has it but just when it will explode LSU regresses and loses a game to a Georgie or to an Arkansas or even a UAB. LSU has been inconsistant in the past. But now that seems to have changed and I can only attribute that to coaching!

So we will see! An big LSU win over Georgia and the media will proclaim LSU a new national powerhouse poised for a NC. A tight LSU win and the program is the SEC team to beat, a tight lost and LSU is just about there and will still compete for the SECCG and an Georgia blowout and we will remain in their eyes the same ol' LSU!

So we will see. Is LSU ready! IS LSU a new national powerhouse. My fellow rabid fans, I believe we are!! I believe because I have to believe! I believe because everyting is falling into place! I believe because I see the coaches and players believe! And I believe because most of all...so do you!

Geaux Tigers!

10. SabanFan

Well said.