Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PaulP, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

GMTarondor: That’s as good of a post as I’ve read. IMO, Nick wants the team in a business like frame of mind, because relying totally on emotion is hard to get up every week. Example: UGA plays Bama next week and Bama has nothing to lose. I do think there must be some emotion, but when it comes to execution of each and every play, each and every game the players must be focused on their responsibilities, to effectively execute the game plan.

As far as wildly optimistic, I happen to be one of those fans. I do believe that LSU is going to win big. As many of you, I suffered through all those years of Archer (late), Hallman, and DiNardo. Prior to Saban, I was tired of LSU being called paper Tigers. I was tired of wait until next year. I make no excuses for last year and have no illusions about this season.

I don’t mean to imply a blowout. The Tigers will leave no doubt as to the winner of this game. I’m not talking about the Tigers winning big if they come out like they did with WIU. I’m talking a similar performance to the first half of the Arizona game.

I’ve read many times, that if we make mistakes (fumbles etc.) it will be a long day. Does that mean that UGA can afford to make those mistakes and still win? I think if UGA comes out and make mistakes, it can equally get nasty for them. I do believe if the Tigers have a lead, in the second half, to allow us to put other players in the game, Saban will need to be careful with the substitution, because this is a different caliber team. They could strike quick and get right back into the game. Bottom line is: focused intensity, flavored with the right amount of emotion. It’s respect time boys and it starts on national TV Saturday afternoon. Geaux Tigers!

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Just be content with the fact that it doesn't matter what any fan thinks--it's the players and coaches that matter. And if Saban and our players aren't over-confident (which, Saban preaches weekly about NOT being cocky), then that's all that matters.

As a fan, you're afforded the right to be brash, lude, confident, cocky, conservative, conscious, worried, positive, negative and whatever your heart desires....That's the beauty of being a fan.

3. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Kind of like being a BoSox fan when the Yankees are in town..??

4. BostonBengal

Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Yeah...kinda like that. Fenway Park is so much fun when the Skanks are in. Completely sold out stadium chanting in unison, "Yankees S*CK!" is priceless.

Went down to the Bronx 2 weeks ago for one of the Sox/Skanks games. Wore a Sox hat and jersey, and after Boston shelled Clemens and won 11-0, I got invited more times to fight than ever before in my life! ...and I walked out of that stadium without saying a word....my clothes did all the talking I guess! :)

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

And where are the Sox in the standings now?

6. BostonBengal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

2nd in the AL East and 5.5 games back of the Skanks but 2.5 games ahead of Seattle for the AL Wild Card.

Went 10-9 vs NY this season...

7. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

LSU has their ducks in a row. I am an outsider lookin in and I think LSU will come out on top. I have no bias opinion here either way and I think LSU has the better team. Good Luck...I'd rather see yall win than UGA.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

And the Dead Sox have won how many World Series since trading the Bambino?

Nothing personal BostonBengal. I have been a Yankee fan all my life and there are always plenty of Yankee haters around but growing up in Louisiana I never had a real live resident of Beantown to heckle. Almost everybody I know are either Astros or Braves fans. Nothing against the city of Boston. I was a big Celtics fan during the Bird, McHale, Parish era. I never was fortunate enough to make it to the old Bahstan Gahden but one time they scheduled a Celtics - Hawks game in New Orleans for some reason. Not an exhibition but a real game. Bird got 60 that night. I had seats about 10 rows up from the floor and about 7 or 8 yards from centercourt.

9. BostonBengal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Well, since we're both LSU fans, and both Celtics fans, I guess since 2 of 3 isn't bad (and it's a sad thing to hear that you're a Skankees fan--but hey, don't beat yourself up over it--no one's perfect :) ), I can deal with your "Sox heckling".

Funny I ended up moving to Boston. Growing up in Lafourche parish, sure we got more than our fair share of Braves and 'Stros games, and with WGNO in Chicago--the Cubbies were always on. But, Clemens, Boggs, Greenwell, Jim Rice, Mo Vaughn, etc. were my team....

I've always felt, especially coming from a state in which there is no MLB team, being a Yankee fan would just be too easy. I mean, they win championships all the time. HOWEVER, be a Cubs or Red Sox fan, and when the day comes, and the drought is over, imagine the feeling that will over-come you when they win a world series title!

Personally, I'd love it to be this year--the city of Boston will go up in flames if the Sox win the WS.

In referrence to your "How many WS have the Sox won since trading the Bambino", I've got a t-shirt (proudly bought outside of Fenway Park last week) that gives you, in my opinion, the best response. On the back it has: "5" (symbolizing Nomar) and "Yankee Hater" above it... And on the front of the shirt, it says, "Take your 26 rings and shove them up your a$$"... :) So, there ya go! That's my answer to your question! :D

Dang! And I told myself that I would never befriend a Yankee fan...But since I always said I could never hate an LSU fan, you put my promise to rest:shock:

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Isn't that 27 rings? Do you know how Nomar got his name? His Dad is named Ramon and Nomar is Ramon spelled backwards.
    No joke - thats true.

Being from Lafouche Parish you must get some serious flack from the beantowners about your accent. Just tell them "I don't have an accent. You do" Being from Baton Rouge I have more of a southern accent than Cajun except when I fall into it when I'm around my relatives from my mothers side of the family.
    I lived in Colorado for a couple of years 20 or so years ago. When people found out where I came from you could just feel the ignorance ooze out of them. I had great fun making up stories about having to fight off alligators on the way to school. The sad part is that most of them believed it was true.