Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PaulP, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sounds to me like PaulP is calling you a cheater with a Bahstan accent.

2. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

Getting back to the origianl thread,

I usually get much more confident as the game gets closer. We start the tailgate just hoping to play well, but by the time we finish the pregame beverages and head to the stadium, we are kicking somebodies buttocks up between their ears!!!! I just hope it is Georgia this week.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

I have a scarf with the NY logo on it. When in Boston during the winter I used to proudly show my colors. I quickly learned to turn that thing around so the Chowdaheads couldn't see it. They don't take kindly to Yankee fans.
    BB, Bostoners thought Garciaparra's 1st name was Hamon spelled backwards.:D
    True story...The office I work in there recently moved. I was in the new offices and asked for Mr. Cotter and no one could find his office. After 10 minutes I finally figured out they they were looking for Mr. Carter.

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

LOL!!!!

I think its getting to a point of being ridiculous about LSU fans AND UGA fans calling the other over-confident. Every UGA fans think they will win, same goes for LSU. And both should because they both have great teams.

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

How did you become a yankee fan?
    I pull for the Red Sox, but am mostly an Astros fan because of it's vicinity to me. I started pulling for Boston when I saw Fred Lynn diving for balls like a maniac. I said "he plays like I do". So I started following his career. Didn't like Ron Guidry because he played for the yankees. Still hate Bucky Dent!
    So, how did you become a yankee fan?

6. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

My wife is from Boston and we're usually there several times a year so I consider myself a semi-local. Last time we flew in I won two tickets to a Sox game. Babysitting circumstances prevented us from going so I gave the tix to my father in law. I grew up a Yankees fan and still am for the most part but I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox finally take one. Funny seeing the comment about Guidry. He's exactly the reason I became a Yankees fan. My dad pointed him out to me on the TV one day and said "son...that's Louisiana Lighting. Ron Guidry." I've been a fan ever since.

Funny story about the accent. So few people really get the subtlety of the Boston accent. I could listen to a couple of guys from Southy converse for hours. Quite entertaining. My brother in law was in town for our wedding and went to my bachelor party with me and my buds. His accent was half the entertainment for them.

7. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

And they say we talk funny in the south?!?!?:dis: :D

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

It sure is interesting to see Yankee - Red Sox chatter on an LSU board....but I confess I've been a Yankee fan since Billy Martin, Whitey Ford & Mickey Mantle. Red Sox will lose gain.

As for the Tigers, I enjoyed the post about beliefs. Well said.

I've been an LSU fan since the days of radio, sure their was TV, but the tigers were never on. I would pull for them as if my life depended on it. and... was comotose for a week if they lost. Always hated Alabama for that reason. Actually, can't stand the whole state 'til this day. I know that is a stupid reason, but I can't think of Alabama without thinking of the BEAR.

At any rate, I believe in the tigers & in Saban. Georgia does have a good team. But.. I don't think I am being optimistic at all when I say we will win by 13.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Yeah, I get so much crap from friends back home. I mean, I've only lived in Boston for 2 years now, but ANY little thing that my friends catch me saying differently, and they grill me!

Like "Wicked"...EVERYTHING in Boston is "wicked"--"wicked hot", "wicked good", "wicked pissah of a time", "wicked sick"...You hear that word in every sentence, and yeah, sooner or later you'll use it yourself once in awhile! :D Sheesh!

As for the Sox, they have the best offensive lineup--possibly in the history of the game--don't take my word for it, check out the stats if you want. They're on pace to break the team HR mark set by the Yankee's own, "Murderer's Row", and lead the majors in just about every offensive statistical category. And with pitchers like Pedro and Lowe and Tim Wakefield, they have 3 pitchers right there that can beat anyone...Burkett and Suppan are the ones that don't exactly strike fear into anyone.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aren't LSU fans being a little overconfident?

How did I become a fan of the greatest franchise to ever play the sport of baseball? When I was a small child there was no cable TV with a ton of channels to distract me. The only televised baseball games were on network TV and usually only on Saturday afternoons. Since the Yankees were on TV more than anybody else because then, just as they are now were the best team in MLB, I have been blessed by having seen the likes of Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Whitey Ford rise to the occasion to bitch slap pretenders like the Dead Sox and the Dodgers back into the oblivion where they came from. I have fond memories of seeing Ron (Louisiana Lightning) Guidry become the most dominating and most unhitable pitcher in the Big Leagues. Do you remember how Reggie "I'm the straw who stirs the drink" Jackson smashed 3 monster dingers out of Yankee Stadium in game 6 of the WS against the Dodgers one the only 3 strikes he saw against 3 Dodger pitchers? How about the Yanks coming back from 14 games down in the standings in August to the Dead Sox? Since it ended up dead even in the standings there was a 1 game playoff with all the marbles at stake in Fenway Pahk. If you are a Dead Pox fan you probably remember that ball that Bucky Dent hit over the Green Monstah. If its any consolation to you Bucky's AL Championship dinger gave Ron Guidry a regular season record of 27-3 and the best ERA ever for a season.

I suffered though most of the 80s as a great player like Don Mattingly couldn't get God's Chosen Team over the hump but at least he didn't boot the big one like his Dead Sox counterpart first baseman Bill Buckley did against the Mets in 1986.

Of course we all know about the 4 WS titles the Bronx Bombers have in 8 years with Joe "Chicken Catcha" Torrre at the helm. It shoulda been 5 but then 2001 was a bad year for the City that never sleeps.

Will the Yanks who have the best record in MLB do it this year? Its up to you, New York, New York. Hey everybody - Start Spreadin' the News