Arizona Bills Require Constitution Loyalty Oath, Pledge Of Allegiance By Public School Students

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jan 29, 2013.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

Finally somebody that understands.

Is is why the terms atheist and agnostic are misleading. Agnostic answers a question about the truth, which is unknown, and must be unknown, if the question is about a god that requires faith. Atheism is an answer to question of whether you believe or not and has nothing to do with reality. You can not believe in something even if it exists. And you can believe in something if it doesn't exist.

So the truth is that we do not know, and if you accept that, and stop believing un unknowns, for no reason, then you necessarily are atheist. The definitions fail to make people understand this, which is what I have been saying for years. They are too simplistic.

Long story short you are either atheist or an idiot.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You mean other than the dictionary definition , the encyclopedia explanation and the accumulated practice of 4,000 years of philosophical thought? martin is just playing games, but you really ought to think this through.

So what? Philosophy is like that. It is why there are so many schools of philosophical thought. People can disagree about them, modify them, and watch them evolve.

martin's ridiculousness is the rash statement that every question has a scientific answer. Clearly this is untrue and he has been tap-dancing himself into that corner over there ever since.

3. red55

Ahhh, changing the subject, I don't blame you. But I slay you on this topic as well. And again you insist that the dictionary, the encyclopedia and 4,000 year of intellectual thought are wrong and we should think like you.

Nonsense. Agnostic comes from the Greek. It means not knowing. Agnosticism does not attempt to answer anyhting about God because by definition it is a belief that we cannot know everything.

No. Atheism also comes from Greek. It means without deity. Atheism by definition is the denial of God, it has nothing to do with the search for reality.

You mean an agnostic. You are sooo confused.

Then set about to change them. Meanwhile the rest of the world will use conventional and acceptable terms and definitions. It would be stupid to do otherwise.

Translation: I am an atheist and an idiot.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

Look homie don't have to tell us agin he resists nuance

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

yes but both you and red have continued to bash the other. It is fun to watch...please keep going

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You are missing the point.

I don't care what people thought 4,000 years ago.

I specifically referenced the "God" portion of this.

God is not a truth. It is just a belief. If by its world wide acceptance that there is a God makes it a valid claim then what is the point? Having to rely on a number of people to believe something without any truth doesn't make it valid.

That just sounds stupid.

You just have your own warped opinion on what "you" deem valid or invalid.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You are not making any sense Red.

If you have acknowledged its random, then you by default acknowledge you have no grounds to state anything based on theory is valid or invalid. The validity of a theory is only deemed valid/invalid by supporting facts. There are no facts associated with God. None.

Referencing what people thought 4,000 years ago means nothing. If anything, it supports my statement that it is nothing more than your "belief".

8. red55

Dude, you are rambling and inventing positions for me.

Now, cite something I have actually said and address that.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Valid based on what? Your gut feeling?

Again, the measure of what you deem valid it not inline with theories that have associated truths.

So again, what makes a theory valid?

10. red55

Go back and read post 127.

martin said that all theories could be answered by science. I countered that philosophical theories were examples of theories that could not be answered by science. martin then cried that there was no such thing as a philosophical theory, so I posted the encyclopedia definition to establish that philosophical theories were valid and real.

What exactly are you asking?