Arkansas = NO Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PURPLE TIGER, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Interesting stat from a CBSsportsline blog:

"But most of all, there's this: with the Hogs within one possession following the Herron safety, their final four drives started at the 50-yard line, the Arkansas 44, the Ohio State 48, and the OSU 18. Total results of those drives? 39 yards, three points, two punts, and one backbreaking turnover. There's clutch defense, and then there's that."

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Probably having visions of what happened after the first fumble of the game and just wanted to make sure that he got it. Can't blame him for that. He had no idea who was around him.

Another thing that lost this game for Arky was Petrino's playcalling late in the game. On their second to last drive, he called too many runs when they needed a pass, and had to settle for a FG. If they score a TD there, they get the ball after the blocked punt only needing a FG to win.

I don't think that Mallet will ever be a successful NFL QB because he has ZERO footwork. Dude looks like he has concrete shoes on. Get within 3 yards of him and he's down. Can't move left or right to save his life, only backwards. We destroyed him the few times that we blitzed, and would have won handily if we had continued to pressure him. No clue why we didn't.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

agree. you knew he was going to play not to lose the entire 2nd half with that lead. they could feel the walls closing in and it was compelling to see. i just cant stand a coach who does that against any team much less an explosive offense. it should have bit them in the ass again, but alas, the streak is over.

i said the same thing when i saw the replay. you dont see it too often in the college ranks or notice it at least.

the difference in the game for me wasnt the drops as much as it was the pressure OSU got with simply 4 upfront imo. Mallett was hassled all night before he could set in the pocket. Even with a back blocking. ironhead's son is pretty damn agile and impressive.

I still dont get why mallett had so much trouble completing a 5 yard pass though. it was usually short and 3 yards behind the guy on a slant or an out.

down field he was pretty spectacular.

edit: wasnt it odd tressel feigning excitement everytime r-kansas scored in the 2nd half like OSU had actually scored. even on touchdowns by the hogs.

its ok to stay positive but that was strange. i guess it was his nerves jumping out his skin. that ship was sinking fast.

also the r-kansas kicker is impressive. it was a great game to watch.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm still not convinced in Ohio State. Arkansas lost that game, they took the victory, gift wrapped it, put some ribbon around it, put a nice little bow on it, tagged it "from Bobby Petrino, and Arkansas Receivers" and simply gave it to Ohio State.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

quality team, quality players. punk qb, freak of an athlete who cant really pass despite last night.

conservative ass coach who plays not to lose in big games. usually costly.

but i guess he knew pryor would throw a costly pick at some point and took his chances playing the way he knows best.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Or is that the way he knows "vest"?

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Also the way he knows "child molester glasses".

8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Mallet looked hung over to me.

Also, I had no idea taht he was that huge.

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

It's just so in his nature that when he decided to go for it on 4th down at the end, the call seemed way too impulsive and forced.

I thought before the game that Ohio State was the better team and they were. Arkansas is the South Carolina of the West, still can't get over the hump.

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

But even then, he should know that falling on it could be the worst thing you could do. It's the coaches fault for not telling him that it's still 4th down and even if Ohio State recovers it, Arkansas still gets the ball. Just...pick...it...up

Totally agree, it's indicative that the guy can't handle pressure both mentally and physically. He made JaMarcus look like Peyton Manning out there and he outweighs him by 30 pounds. I knew as soon as they blocked the punt that Mallett would find a way to lose the game just like he did against Bama. The dude simply chokes when he's pressured. He's got Brett Favre syndrome and he's only in college.