Armed teachers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, May 13, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I know I always find myself disagreeing with you in the free speech alley, but I gotta do it again. I can think of no situation where I would be ok with anyone other than myself being around my child with a firearm. Not police, not Military, no one. We live in America, I'd rather crusade against firearms than crusade for everyone and their mom being allowed to have one and I am pro gun.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sadly, at some point in her school career, she will be around some fellow students with firearms. Responsible adults have a duty to their children to teach them gun safety at an early age. My father and my grandfather were teaching me to handle riflles and shotguns before I was 6. Its a hell of a lot better than learning misinformation from your adolescent peer group.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

Oh trust me, we shoot, she is an archer as well. We have done safety courses and she knows about firearms.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

How much evidence do you need to see if trained police make mistakes, let anger or prejudice control their action then teacher will likely do a poorer job.
    In addition how many times have reports of police needing to fire their whole magazines to hit a target once? Even with training the rush of adrenaline makes marksmanship suspect (don't you agree @shane0911 ?) The won't be Dirty Harry or Wyatt Earp. Does anyone want to expose a class full of children to that much wild shooting?
    Arming teachers isn't the solution.

red55 likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh I get it, but I also agree with @Bengal B on the fact that it is tragic that this is what our society has eroded to. Hell just about any day when I was in high school I either had a shotgun in the truck so we could go dove hunting after school or I had my jo boat hooked up to the back and I'd go to 1st hour to get my fishing buddies and off we went (during school) and while it wasn't "okay" it was okay. Hell I can remember orientation my Jr year, I was walking towards my teachers door and he spotted me (he was my La History teacher in 8th grade now American History in HS) and he shut the door locked it and refused to let me in. He said no, no way I'm not doing it, get another class or I quit. That was all in good fun of course and if anyone would have reported me having a shot gun in my truck they would have said "yeah, I'd be concerned if he didn't"

BOT.

SO SO SO VERY TRUE!! Shooting pop cans off the fence with uncle Joe is easy, when the situation gets heated and someone couldn't drive a buttered needle up your ass with a sledgehammer it is a little bit more tricky to stay calm but you better. If you don't you get dead. Its just a very slippery slope man cause I can totally see the merits in it but just like football, whats on paper and what happens once they blow the whistle are often 2 very different things. Guess we wait and see.

6. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I have mixed emotions on this. There are retired / former military and police that then go into teaching. I think properly trained teachers could protect their class during an active shooter situation. The usually shelter in place and their class would be behind them or under their desks. There are biometric locks to keep students from accessing or firing the weapon. Most school shooters have offed themselves as soon as confronted by someone else with a weapon. I would like at least one trained individual with a firearm at my children's school. (we don't have a police officer)

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I was going to LSU there not a single day that I didn't have a pistol in my vehicle. Not because I felt like I needed it at school but because I had it anyway wherever I went. I never took it out of the truck and went to class with it but these days I would probably be in trouble if anybody found out I even had a firearm in my locked vehicle. If I was planning on going hunting after class I would have a shotgun too as well as camo clothing to change into without having to go home.

Last week two guys were on the levee near LSU with rifles. A cop saw them and even though they were not on campus he arrested them for having firearms within 1000 feet of a firearms free zone. I would have just told the guys they would have to move on and get farther away from the campus.

8. shane0911

Exactly, no need for an arrest there

9. LaSalleAve

I like that, drive a buttered needle up someone's ass with a sledgehammer, I'll credit you when I use that one.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

Dude, that's like pucker factor 1000x

LaSalleAve likes this.