Around the SEC and beyond - you thought off color cheers were bad

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Mike in Memphis, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Around the SEC and beyond – and we thought bad language was a problem -

• Oxford – Ole Miss track team member Rodney Lockhart, a 20-year-old junior psychology major and member of the gold medal-winning U.S. 1,600-meter relay team in the 2006 World Junior Championships in Beijing, was found dead in his Oxford apartment Saturday from a single gun shot to the head. Oxford police say they think he was targeted and it was not a random act. (from the Oxford Eagle)
    • Memphis – University of Memphis defensive tackle Taylor Bradford was shot and killed in his car Sunday night near the University of Memphis campus. Police have no leads at this time but are looking at surveillance camera recordings of the area for clues. The football team voted to play tonight’s (Tuesday) game against Marshall in honor of their teammate. Coach Tommy West held his composure through much of an afternoon press conference about the incident, except when asked about meeting with Bradford’s father. “I can’t imagine...,” West said, fighting back tears. “...I wish there was something you could do, but there’s nothing you can do.” (from the Memphis Commercial Appeal)

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i saw both of those stories on yahoo. i was speechless then and really don't know what to say now.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

With the proximity of those two campuses to one another, I wonder if these incidents are some how connected. It may be a reach, but both cases police believe the victims were targeted. Pretty bizarre for D1 athletes so close to one another.

4. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

There have been no reports of any suspected linkage between the two incidents or the two young men. But you are right about it being bizarre. Two student athletes from schools 45 miles apart murdered on the same weekend. It really is shocking and frankly disturbing.