Arthur not yet commited

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUalum24, Apr 24, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Re: Arthur commits to LSU

Amen, bro'. Not going to count my chick before it hatches on this one... got to be wary of the kids that play this game. I will say if we land this one, it's huge. Not just because Arthur is a Parade All-American and fills a need, BUT because IMO in order for LSU to be a perennial power in hoops, we HAVE to be able to recruit some in Texas and MS. Just like we did when we picked up Shaq' from S.A., and when we went into MS to pick up the likes of CJ. While LA has great talent, I think if you can go into Houston or Dallas and establish a pipeline, you have alot more top-tier high school hoops talent to choose from. See Arizona, UConn, etc., who hit the Lone Star State hard...

Something troubles me a little tho'. If true, this article makes it sound like the Brady bunch "guaranteed" a starting PF position. I wouldn't like that if I was Magnum or Darnell, nor should a coaching staff guarantee PT to a kid over another very talented sophomore and junior that have been loyal to your program. It may be that Brady and Butch said they'd give D.A. every bit of opportunity to compete as a freshman, and he makes the determination that he can outplay Rolle or Lazare, but I hope that he was "guaranteed" nothing. I personally think that Rolle will be better next year in any case, and will be a formidable starting PF. In any case, I saw the McD AA game--Arthur is good, but he's not necessarily the second coming... I will say he's more mobile and versatile than Tyrus was as a freshman.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE PART OF THE MAGIC OF PMAC!!!

2. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

He hasn't committed yet. All he's said is that LSU was his favorite via The Advocate. He is supposed to be showing up for his unofficial visit today and if everything goes the way it's expected to than he'll make it official. If he does make it official, he might even have a friend coming with him that just got a release from his LOI to OU.

3. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

Could the poster or a mod change the title of this thread. Darrel Arthur has not committed to LSU. He hasn't even visited.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

The sporting news reported that he would commit. The title should be changed to "Arthur to commit to LSU"

5. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

IF the announcement comes this week, it's obviously a great pickup and quite a coup for Brady and Pierre. According to this article in the Advocate, Arthur could even entice Scottie Reynolds along with him, so the coup could get even bigger. :eek: Wow!

I do, however, agree that there is some potential concern and I hope Brady is handling this the right way.

One of the best attributes of this LSU Final Four team was its chemistry and unselfishness. Billy Donovan has been quoted as saying that looking for unselfish players was a conscious change in recruiting strategy that Florida made a couple of years ago, and we see how well that worked. On one hand the reality in college basketball these days is that due to the NBA skimming away young players, talented kids are going to have opportunities to step right in at major programs, but you still have to be careful about players coming in with too much of a "me" attitude. I have no idea if that's the case with Arthur or Reynolds, but in Arthur's case there does at least on the surface sound like there is potential for concern. I agree with T'ger's comments above - Rolle has a lot of potential especially given that he hasn't played as much basketball as a lot of guys. If he puts in a lot of work and court time between now and fall, he could very possibly be a breakout player.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

so then basically you should only recruit the top players that come from a financially stable background. players with "NBA talent" that arent concerned about pt are very few.

i see nothing wrong with a recruit using pt as a factor (a very big one even) in where to go. all great players are selfish anyway (but i guess not all selfish players are great).

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

probably after that Christian Dreyer guy left them in the middle of the season.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

minor misspelling quibble.

j-will was a big part of that as well. also only having mike miller for only one season is kinda hard.

al horford and joakim noah are rare quantities.... nba talented kids with family money?

too bad daddy dale screwed the pooch on tito all those years ago. :dis:

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Just so folks have the context of the Advocate article, here's the link:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/2688011.html

Very positive for sure, and signs do point to some legitmacy of LSU being the frontrunner. The Austin American Statesman today reports that officially Texas is no longer in the running...

"Darrell Arthur, a 6-9 senior forward from Dallas South Oak Cliff High School, has eliminated Texas as one of his prospective schools, according to the Dallas Morning News. Arthur is considering LSU, Kansas and Baylor. Arthur previously said he as considering Texas for the opportunity to play with LaMarcus Aldridge, who is instead opting for the NBA."

Interesting, that today as well, PJ Tucker and D. Gibson announced they would be testing the waters. Wonder what DJ Augustin's thinking now... eh? Apparently playing with Kevin Durant is not what Arthur finds appealing. Clearly, he is looking to fit in a system, with another nice big man, that showcases the paint. That's LSU. Scottie Reynolds would be a huge pick up since our only other glaring potential weakness is point.

Scottie's props?

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=28679&Sport=2&SR=TSN (now lists LSU)

http://probasketball.about.com/od/highschoolbasketball/a/mcdonalds06_3.htm (talks about his play in the McD AA game)

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Content/Article.mxp/ArticleID-0f8dad79-4ef4-483c-bbaa-ee00222f0aa5 (lists as honorable mention national AA)

Seems like a heady point guard who can pass and dish and shoot 3s. Something LSU needs for sure...

QUESTION: Do we have the ability to sign both guys as '06 signees tho'?

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE PART OF THE MAGIC OF PMAC!!!

10. TGer'nLHornLand

I don't think either of us were going that far. Clearly PT is what every NBA potential prospect wants. I think our only point is that you still have to run the team with the team placed first. To me, if you "guarantee" the starting spot to Arthur, what message does that send to Rolle (who was a top 20 high school prospect in his own right) and Lazare? It is not a smooth move from a player personnel perspective and from a team chemistry standpoint-- there's no sense in having your team cohesiveness break down over this.

Today's Advocate article down plays the "guarantee" with a "chance to start sooner" and I think that's probably the right tone. Bottomline, I'm not convinced that Arthur is going to be necessarily off the bat starting ahead of Rolle. Rolle is taller, plays bigger, and if he puts on some weight will be very effective too opposite Big Baby. Arthur brings a more inside out game, but needs to work on his defense, just like every other high school kid.