Article: Jefferson steps up...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Apr 8, 2011.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Brutal... Watching today was like a recurring nightmare.

Except for ware....

2. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

I would really be concerned now if Jefferson had not already stepped up to the challenge.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm only now getting to see the ESPN broadcast after watching the game in person. I was immediately struck by what Jefferson said, when asked what the biggest contribution Krag brought to the team was, immediately said an emphasis on fundamentals. If Krag is having to reteach the fundamentals of the QB position to two seniors, then we've got some real problems.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

look at the bright side tho. that means we probably got rid of the biggest problem.

5. lsudolemite

:D No argument there.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

That was your first mistake.

7. lsudolemite

Turned out to be a pretty good indicator last season.

By all means, what else should I go by? This is now year 2 where we hear the hype from coaches and players alike in spring practice about Jefferson taking control and leadership of this offense. Maybe he will this year, maybe not. If Jefferson really is ready to take his game to the next level, then he's hiding it pretty well.

8. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

We need to not forget that defense also wants to showcase and prove themselves in this spring game with the no-touch handcuff on them. Several beautiful throws made by JJ would have been completed if it was not for the even more beautiful coverages from our defense. Simon will replace Claiborne if he keeps showing this great coverage skills and instinct. Besides, JJ's several sloppy plays during the 2nd half were part of because our defense already knew the routes that the WRs were gonna run, which made it easy to defend.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Agree with this. Add a bum thumb to the equation...which absolutely contributed to the fumble. I honestly though he went downhill immediately following the hit on his hand.

Honestly, I understand people came away less than impressed because of the hype, and I think Mett looks a heckuva lot more like a QB than either JJ or JL. But there's things to consider...

The green jersey in a help for guys like Mett and Lee, but a hindrance to a guy like JJ. Put a green 'touch only' jersey on Cam Newton last year, and Auburn loses a bunch of games. JJ can do things with his legs the others can't. (although Mett impressed me with his scrambling too) A couple times JJ got 'touched down' and he was already past the tackler.

Also, if you think JJ looked as bad in this spring game as last, you need to go dig up last year's spring game and rewatch. He made much better decisions. The throw away in the endzone, (which he probably would've run in except someone was about to 'touch' him), and a play later in the game when the defense KNEW it was a screen and had it covered, he made a smart decision not to throw it, because EVERYONE on the defense dropped back in coverage about two seconds into the play. JJ recognized it and got what he could before someone 'touched' him. In tackle football, he may well have scored on that play too.

10. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

I was hoping for a better showing from JJ, but between, a vanilla playbook, bum thumb, and outstanding CB play, it was really hard to tell. He definitely looked more comfortable back there and his throws seemed to have more accuracy. JL unfortunately still makes bad decisions. Glad to see that we can run a slant play for completion, who knew?

Also 15 practices to break bad habits is not easy, but JJ seems to be making some good strides. With a solid D and good RBs etc, the QB doesn't have to do a whole lot. I'm kind of glad for the tepid performance, it should hopefully drive him to work even harder, esp with ZM showing he is the closing the gap quickly.