Article: Jefferson steps up...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

One other thing I noticed.

UF has a new OC, allegedly one of the premier QB coaches in the game of football...at the highest levels.

John Brantley-2011 UF Spring game 4-14 46 yds

Which really doesn't mean crap...because...

John Brantley-2010 UF Spring game 15-19 201 yds 2 TDs

Guess what happened last season at UF? Their defense sucked. They should've known it in the Spring game, because when all was said and done...so did Brantley...even after absolutely lighting it up in the Spring game...setting Spring game records with his performance. That defense made him look WAY better than he was.

And it could be worse. I'm pretty sure Florida's version of "Purple" beat their version of "White". THAT'S scary...

2. King Joey

King Joey Founding Member

Reason to believe

You should remember this, though: we were one redonkulous Cam Newton TD run away from winning the West last year, and there's every reason to believe we would have beaten South Carolina (considering how Auburn manhandled them). And a guy like Cam Newton is not likely to exist most seasons (and very unlikely to occur in the SEC yet another year), so there's every reason to believe that a Jordan Jefferson-led LSU team -- even if it's only as good as last year -- is good enough to win the SEC. Obviously that doesn't mean that we will, but we will at least be good enough to do it.

:eek:ldskule::geaux::eek:ldskule:

1 person likes this.
  3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Only one year and a month or you can say thirteen months or about 56 weeks about 380 days give or take until ......
    JORDAN JEFFERSON graduates from LSU and the Mett takes the reins and we have no qb controversy

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Mythical

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Are you kidding me?

Flynn/Perriolloux created controversy. The only reason it wasn't as much as it is now is because Perrilloux was dismissed, and even before being dismissed, it was public knowledge he had/caused a lot of issues.

Russell/Flynn.

Randall/Russell

Booty/whoever was behind Booty.

Hell, Hodson/Guidry.

Anyone else remember hearing people yell "SPARACINO"...
    "PUT IN SPARACINO"!!!

VERY few times without a QB controversy...(in fan's minds) When Mett is QB and makes a mistake or three, people will long for Rivers or Randall or whomever.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If Jefferson is only at the same level as last year, then we're not winning any hardware. The amazing special teams play that kept us in games like Auburn and Arkansas is gone. While the defense will be in good hands, we are losing 3 big defensive leaders, and that will hurt us. If LSU is going to make a run for a title, BCS bowl, or even all the Tostitos :rolleye33:, LSU's offense is going to have to be a hell of a lot better than it was last year. And it can't all happen on the ground, Jordan is going to have to do a much better job throwing the ball accurately, and on time, for us to compete for a championship. There's just no way around that.

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

There's no way we only lose 2 last year without pp7. Asking jj to all of a sudden play like Matt Flynn is highly unlikely from what I have seen from him. Our only hope for a nc is for our d line to be better than last year and ware to be a heisman caliber back running for 1200+ yards this year. I don't see jj throwing 20 touchdowns this year and mett or lee having enough playing time to take up jj's slack.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU under Jefferson is dangerous and unpredictable. We must become dominant to win the SEC with 4 ranked teams in our division and a another 3 or 4 on the schedule.

We cannot become dominant with a third year of a passing offense ranked in the 100's.

9. dentalchick

dentalchick Freshman

Jefferson will do much better this year! I'm pulling for him!

1 person likes this.
  10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Hindsight is 20/20. SO many were saying PP shouldn't even be returning punts before last season. Didn't want him to get hurt. Now that they see how good he would be at it, he's irreplaceable? They didn't even return punts in the Spring game, and neither you nor I have any clue how good Randle will be at it...or Mathieu, who is also going to be given a shot. But I do know what I saw with my own eyes in the GA Dome last September, and I'm pretty sure RR will be just fine.

It remains to be seen how Alleman (3-4 on FGs Saturday) will do replacing Jasper, but I know his kickoffs landed in the endzone, or inside the 5 to in the endzone when he had the wind in his face. And punter will be fine...we have more than one very capable punter. Punt and Kick COVERAGE is the most important thing to special teams anyway, IMO...and with guys like Brooks and Loston back, I feel pretty good about that. So not sure why the doom and gloom about ST this year.
    -
    And IMO, if JJ is at the same level as last year, (I seriously doubt this is the case), it won't take NEARLY as long for Miles to insert some help. He has more than Lee to choose from this year. I'd be shocked if Mett isn't REALLY #2 right now. Miles is already hinting at that now...and you know he isn't gonna throw Lee under the bus completely in the press. He's gonna drop hints...and he has.