Article on Devery

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Jan 16, 2005.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

All I can say is that I felt very badly for Devery Henderson being drafted by the Saints. I think he's better than that...

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Well, Im not going to drop the Saints. I dont even think I could if I tried. I just need someone else to pull for thats a little more rewarding and less painful to watch. I will always go to a couple games a year, however bad they may be. Most everyone around here are Saints fans, too, and a couple of my LSU buddies and I have had a pretty long running joke where anytime we hear anything about the Saints we give an enthusiastic "Geaux Texans!" cheer. Either way, I cant pull for anybody else in the NFC south.

The Texans, on the other hand, are in the AFC. Plus, I feel like they are a year away from being a force in the playoffs. Watching DD mature into a feature back of an up and coming NFL franchise is kind of fun. Thats the allure really. I like pulling for our guys up in Boston too, but I cant really bring myslef to be a fan of the franchise, even though I really like what Bill Belichick has done up there. The Texans seem like a fit.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't have an NFL team, being a college football fan first and no glutton for punishment second (so I'm not a Saints fan). These days I pull for teams that have ex-Tigers playing, and that's getting quite fun.

I think Devery could've been better appreciated and utilized by any number of other NFL teams.

4. raylsu

raylsu Founding Member

As a Houstonian, I by default became a Texans fan. I had season tickets the innagural season, and I tell you that I've never seen anything like it at a pro level. The tailgating, the crowd and the facilities. Simply amazing to be quite honest. It was icing on the cake for DD to become their premier RB.

Now, I can really only compare the Texans to the Saints as those are the two teams that I've seen much of in person. But, I was really impressed with the fan intensity and following they have here in Houston.

5. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Benson is a sorry owner. The season they go to the playoffs, Benson lets their GM go, whatever his name is. Maybe it was the season after they went to the playoffs that he let him go. The point is that Benson fired the GM that was responsible for getting the players on the team to go to the playoffs. Remember Haslett and the GM came in at the same time and the team was completely new team.

Benson fires the GM, lets the unbelievable defense be dismantled and scattered throughout the NFL, allows the dismantling of the Pro Bowl offensive line, etc etc. It was like after he found out he wasn't getting a stadium, "To hell with this team". But when the state was considering the stadium it was right after the Saints playoff season but when that fell through, Benson says, "Its time to unload".

It is almost plausible that Benson allowed this team to get bad after the stadium deal fell through so that the state would get fed up with the team and stop going to the games. Then Benson could say, I'm losing money, I'm selling the team, or I'm moving the team. I think Benson and Red McCombs are having a race to see who can get their teams to San Antonio first.