Article on Kevin Faulk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I think they are more referring to him being a role model since he's been in the lime light (college and pro career). I don't think that includes what he did when he was extremely young.

When I say Michael Jordon is a good role model, I wouldn't revoke that statement if I found out he had a kid in high school (btw I'm not saying MJ was the best role model, just using him for example purposes) Pro atheletes get labeled good "role models" based on what they do once they become well known. Anything done before that (unless it's murder or rape) shouldn't diminish their status as a "role model".

2. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I thought Ray Lewis and Jayson Williams are good role models. :hihi:

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

Re: Either you're playing ignorant or you are...

for all we know faulk has a secret stash of money he inherited. or maybe he can support his kids in some other way you do not know. you just dont know what you are talking about.

besides, if your kids are using pro athletes as role models, it may be the problem is with the parents. i wouldnt care if my kids loved shawn kemp, because i would figure i had had parented them well enough for them to realize that to admire a man's dunking skills is not to admire his family management skills. (not that i have a problem with kemp, for all i care he can have 40 kids out of wedlock)

to cast athletes as responsible is counterproductive, because all it does is shift blame away from parents. every thing we do that shifts personal responsibilty from parents and children is bad. since athletes are not supposed to be our life choices guides, they bear no responsibility to be anything other than exactly what they want to be. if faulk smoked crack and banged hookers, i say good for him, i hope he likes it. in fact that would make him a role model for me, because in a perfect world i would get to bang hookers and smoke crack.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Well this fairly hijacks the thread, but oh well. I agree that athletes shouldn't be role models. No doubt about that. Maybe he gave blood 4 times a day and sold a kidney, and held down 14 jobs. Or maybe, just maybe insinuating that he was financially secure in high school is just a remarkably stupid assertion.

I admit, I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe it is a good idea for high school kids to have kids of their own before graduating from high school. Yea, maybe that is a sociological breakthrough for continued success. The problem isn't that kids are having kids. It's that kids aren't having enough kids. Brilliant.

I can only hope that science students and band members, as well as athletes, continue this trend. Then the little bastards will have non-athletes to look up to.

As Coach Miles says, "We expect the future to be very bright."

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

No need for the condescending post. My point was simply that I don't think it's fair to say Faulk hasn't been a good role model simply cause he wasn't perfect as a youngster.

6. freddy

freddy Founding Member

Why the criticism of Faulk? Yes he had kids while in high school, and as a college student he was involved in an incident of which he was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing. But as the article points out, he is successful in his career, and for many people he has become a role model. Off the football field Kev is one of the coolest people you could ever meet. Also he could have just focused on football and the NFL while at LSU, but along the way he also stayed in school and managed to graduate in less than four years. Yes as a young man he may not have made the best decisions, but what more do you want him to do? I’m happy that Kev contributed much to LSU on the football field, left school with a degree, and is successful in the NFL.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I don't recall ever saying I wasn't happy about his success. Merely pointing out a fact that should impact one's ability to provide an example for others to replicate. That's it. Of course, the thread degenerated into a host of STFU's and reading comprehension issues.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

you may be able to make a general statement, but not a specific one. in some circumstances, it is perfectly ok to have kids at a young age. if for example, if you were exceedingly mature, had a safety net of parents and grandparents to help, and maybe a supply of money. my point is that if you do not know the specifics, you are unqualified to call anyone out for their decision making.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

right, and since you are not aware of faulk's maturity/financial/family situation at the time had children, you are wholly unqualified to comment on his readiness to bear children.

10. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

And to think I just started this thread in appreciation of one of my all time favorite Tigers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.