Artificial Intelligence - The End of Humanity?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, May 15, 2015.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I know seems unfathomable, and I agree with your thinking. I don't know if it is a case of experts not being able to differentiate between computing power and sentience, or real fear. Regardless a lot of highly credentialed people in the field say we are 5 to 50 years away.

Bengal B likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Red is basing his arguments on the limitations of the technology available today without taking into account the advance that WILL be made that we don't even know enough about yet to speculate. I mentioned the possibility of quantum computers in an earlier post on this thread. And what defines sentience and self awareness? When people like Elon Musk and others talk we should listen with heed even if we don't completly understand the process.

To bring up another point if machines did develop self awareness would it be ethical for humans to keep them in a box and put them to work for us, basically using them as our slaves?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Farfetched but in the near future?
    [​IMG]

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yes, I am basing my argument based on everything we know about life, science, and technology and I have not taken into account science fiction, imagination, conjecture, and prophesy.

Of course technology can and will advance and I pointed that out clearly in an earlier post. How far has it advanced since 1995? How far do you think it will advance by 2035? The topic was Artificial Intelligence--the end of humanity. I do not think that computers will take a quantum leap and end humanity in 20 years and I said why I think so.

Could artificial intelligence that is self-aware, creative, possesses imagination and ambition, and has sensors on par with eyes, ears, fingers, and noses be developed in 100,000 years? Anything is possible, but it would have to have been created by humans that will also have evolved and advanced even further. The advance of technology has been rapid, but nothing close to the advancement of human civilization. I don't see computers closing the gap in the foreseeable future.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

6. red55

Hybrid human-robotic technology is something that will be transformative and has been going on for decades already. In the basic sense, when you sit at a computer with a mouse in your hand, you have become a human-computer hybrid. Prosthetic limbs, artificial hearts have been around and such are going to get more sophisticated. Six-Million Dollar Man stuff could actually happen in time. Pacemakers already connect with cardiologists via internet and alert them to problems.

The key here is that human brains and hand-eye coordination with mammalian reproductive capability is still being conducted by the ones that do this best--homo sapiens. Artificial intelligence will enhance communication with all manner of robotic devices that can extend and transform human capabilities. This will happen and is already happening.

But until robots can think without programming, reason, imagine, and create like humans; develop fingers and eyes that match humans, and develop the capability to reproduce . . . they ain't taking over shit.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

So in thirty years... we are all fucked.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. red55

In 30 years your robotic French maid android will fuck you . . . but she won't be killing you and taking over the firm, unless you are foolish enough to program her to do that.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Somebody will be that foolish.

10. red55

Then Darwin will be proved right once again. Natural selection removes counterproductive genes from the pool.