AS IF WE DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW....THE NCAA'S A JOKE

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hub, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Don't know anything about the Ark investigation but a section in this article kills me:

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0115/1493141.html

Last paragraph of the article:

How in the wide world of sports is paying someone on the athletic staff $21,000 a secondary violation. B/C he is not a player? Do you think he actually kept the money? Probably not.....probably went........to Players!!!! I can see it now.....we didn't want the trainer to leave so it was like a bonus.....jesus, asst coaches don't get that much for the team going to a bowl......and trainers are a-dime-a-dozen.

What a joke.

No
    Clue
    About
    Athletics

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Arkansas boosters give $20,000 to football players and they get a slap on the wrist. Michigan booster gives $616,000 to basketball players and they get no scholarship penalties. A Notre Dame booster embezzles $1.2 million from her company and gives portions of it to football players she is romantically involved with and they lose 2 of 84 scholarships for 2 years while still being eligible for TV and postseason. Minnesota basketball players are involved in the worst academic scandals in NCAA history and Minnesota loses 5 scholarships over 3 years.

Now LSU. Lester Earl got paid $6,000 dollars (chump change compared to UMich) and LSU gets destroyed by the NCAA. Loses 6 scholarships over 3 years and can only sign 4 players over a 2 year plan, even if we had scholarships to give from a player going pro or transferring.

The NCAA is run by idiots. :mad:

3. Idiots is an understatement

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Isn't this still going on though?

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Idiots? Maybe not, but there isn't a thing that is "fair" in the punishments the NCAA hands down now a day. When I say "fair," I mean equal punishments for equal offenses.

The UT situation is a joke also. On one hand you have Doug Dickey (AD) saying if we knew Tee had accept money we wouldn't have played him because he'd be ineligible. On the other hand, the NCAA says we know he has money, but there isn't enough evidence to move forward. So, the AD says violation, the NCAA says never mind?

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

NCAA needs to go to a point matrix system like the Justic Dept. Offenses are weighted by points.....the worse the offense the more points you get and vice versa.....points are totaled and applied to a matrix for sentencing. judge has some leeway but nothing major.