Ask CFN - Q & A - Good read...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Aug 20, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

By Pete Fiutak

Answering the e-mails from the LSU and SEC fans about the strength of schedule in the latest ASK CFN. Pete Fiutak also looks at the five overrated and underrated teams based on the two major polls and the projected top five scoring defenses led by Marcus Spears and the Tigers.

Every Friday or so I'll try to answer some of your e-mailed questions. You can send them to me at [email protected]. I might not be able to answer them all, but I promise they're all read. Any e-mails sent to this address may be published or edited unless requested otherwise. (Please put ASK CFN in the subject line ... it makes life easier.)

You guys are completely insane. You have Miami in the Top 10 but Florida at 51 for SOS? Miami plays FSU yeah, but UF plays UGA, LSU, FSU, UTenn, and if your counting West Virginia and NC State as good teams you might as well count South Carolina and Auburn I mean you got to be kidding me. Not to Mention the games @FSU, @UTenn, and a neutral site game against UGA you guys are pathetic. If I could could you tell me your point systems and what the requirements are to work on your staff because I used to like your site but this it seems you guys are putting up thoughts with no logic behind it while still sucking up to the new ACC. – RB

A: You're acting like we set up the formula (in our strength of schedule rankings) to make it look like the SEC was average. All we did was put the formula in place and let it fly. You're forgetting that Florida plays MTSU and Eastern Michigan along with creampuffs like Mississippi State and Vandy. Kentucky and Arkansas aren't any big deal either. Playing at Houston helps out the Miami schedule. Yeah, NC State and Virginia really are that good.

You have got to be kidding me!? What are y’all smoking to have LSU’s schedule ranked below USC. This has to be a joke … the SEC fifth in overall schedule rankings and ACC first?! The Pac 10 second? We play at Auburn, Georgia, Florida and Arkansas. Come on. - NS

A: Oh this has been a fun week hearing from the LSU fans. Out of the 100+ e-mails from the Tiger faithful that have come in, every single one conveniently left out games against Arkansas State, Mississippi State, Troy and Vanderbilt. Let’s be honest here; this is a three game season for the Tigers. Arkansas needs a TON of work, Alabama and Ole Miss are decent, but not all that great when compared to the mid-level ACC teams (please, please, please read the previews for the ACC teams before disputing this.) You’re also conveniently glossing over that with a few notable exceptions, the SEC is cupcake city when it comes to playing non-conference games. As far as USC, yeah, there isn’t a killer on the schedule, but there are 12 games against average (yeah, I’m counting going to BYU, Stanford and hosting Arizona as average tests) to way above average teams. That’s the point and where the argument comes in. Is it better to play a schedule with three absolutely brutal games or one where every game has a slight degree of difficulty?

Last year the Pac 10 was WEAK. Unless there is a drastic change in PAC 10 performance over last year USC should have no problem winning the league by an average of 14+ points per game. It is really a shame that we will not get to see them play teams the caliber of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas State, or LSU, Georgia, Florida, or Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue within a few games of each other. I suppose they will just be happy with another national championship blessed by the same system that had TCU ranked #5 at one point last year. They can always count on the sports writers! – Kevin

A: Yes and no. Yes, outside of USC there aren’t any national title contenders in the Pac 10 this year, but there really aren’t many in the SEC past LSU and Georgia (I’m talking real national title contenders) and none in the Big XII outside of Oklahoma (sorry, but I’ve been burned by Texas before.) Bowl games aren’t always the best indicators, but the much-maligned Pac 10 did just fine for itself last year with USC’s win over Michigan, Cal’s win over Virginia Tech, Washington State’s win over Texas, Oregon State’s annihilation of New Mexico and Oregon’s one-point loss to Minnesota. SEC fans conveniently seem to forget about Florida’s embarrassment to Iowa and Tennessee’s loss to Clemson not to mention Alabama’s like-a-Hawaii-Bowl loss to the Warriors. Sure the SEC won some great bowls and is a great league, but there’s good football being played elsewhere too.

Your statement (about Michigan being better that Ohio State this year) has driven a knife through the heart of every Buckeye fan across the nation. I have printed your article and keep it in my office as another reminder how much the press loves Michigan. I trust you understand the depth of your prediction and won't mind being reminded of such during the Thanksgiving Holidays. As I reflect upon the last two years, I, like thousands of other Buckeye fans struggle with comments like Michigan 'still the class of the Big 10'. You, like most of the media, must be watching games with Maize colored glasses, while many of us are still attached to our Scarlet colored glasses. We'll see which color reigns supreme. Your analysis keeps the buckeye nation exhilarated. What must OSU do to defuse the 'class of the Big 10' rhetoric? Obviously, 25-2 during the past two years has not been enough. I love this game! – JS

A: It's exactly the opposite. If you take a hard, hard, hard look at the Buckeyes with all the holes that need filling and all of the inexperience it’s hard to figure out how they’re still ranked in the top ten of almost every preseason poll. How? Why? It's Ohio State and the program is getting nothing but respect from the media looking hard at the brand name. There are still major quarterback question marks, the offensive line needs to play far better and has several newcomers coming in, and several top defensive players from last year need to be replaced especially on the line. Sure, the Buckeyes are going to be great again, but Michigan is a better and more complete team going into the season. Ohio State is being given nothing but respect by the media while everyone is generally overlooking Michigan (except us.)

Colorado fan here … I can’t believe Jeremy Bloom was ruled ineligible. He did everything the NCAA wanted him to do and followed all the necessary steps and is still ruled ineligible (after taking endorsement money from being a professional skier). Is this right? – GB

A: No, it’s not right and it’s the type of thing that makes me want to quit covering college football with all of its hypocrisy and go off to the NFL. It makes no sense whatsoever and the faceless and brutally cruel NCAA has once again showed that it has no interest whatsoever in the players and has completely failed to see what’s right. Bloom didn’t take endorsement money for playing football (although I’ll fight until I’m blue in the face that all college football players should be able to) using his ad money to train for the Olympics. He donated prize money for various competitions to charity, and he did everything possible to keep skiing and football separate. Here’s a guy who time and again talked about how much he wanted to play for his beloved Colorado Buffaloes and epitomized all the passion and all the love that should be celebrated. It doesn’t matter.

There is a question I’ve always wanted to know, because this seems to be a very unbiased site, who is your favorite team, the team you pull for every season?

A: Covering everyone like I do I don’t pull for any one team. I’m a fan of great games and great performances. However, I will admit that if I’m taking some serious grief from the fans of a particular school, there’s a part of me that doesn’t feel too bad when that team loses (especially if it proves a semi-controversial point of mine to be right.) I pull for players to succeed and for interesting stories, but I mostly want to see great games. Yeah, part of me will root for Texas and Oklahoma to go unbeaten before they play. If there’s a big game two weeks away I’ll probably pull for the teams to win the previous week. As anyone who covers sports will tell you, you lose any sense of being a fan of any specific team in a real hurry. On the flip side, there are schools that I never used to like that I don’t mind seeing do well now primarily because they’ve been good to work with. For example, I never liked Notre Dame growing up but everyone around the program has been really cool so I don’t mind seeing the Irish win now.

Now that both polls are out, who do you think at this early stage are the most over and underrated teams? I believe Wisconsin, Marshall (others receiving votes...), and Maryland are underrated , while Tennessee, Florida, and Clemson are possibly overrated. I know Ohio State lost a lot of players, but believe they'll end up being pretty tough in the long run. What say you? Thanks.......Buckeye fan in scUMville

A: My top three overrated teams (according to the two main preseason polls).
    1) Ohio State – Yeah, in mid-October this should be one of the ten best teams in America, but to be ninth in both polls in the preseason is a bit high. Is there a passing game yet? Will the defense be able to come up with all the same magic? No way, no how does this inexperienced team get the same close wins for the last two Buckeye juggernauts got.
    2) Florida - This is a good team, but there are way too many holes to be considered in the top ten going into the season. I never like to rank preseason teams like this, but how is Florida (10th in the Coaches and 11th in the AP) better than the Iowa team (12th in Coaches and 19th in the AP) after the 37-17 Outback Bowl loss?
    3) Utah – (21st in Coaches and 20th in AP). Yeah the Utes have just about everyone coming back, but would you really take them over Purdue, Minnesota, NC State or Wisconsin?

Underrated Teams …1) NC State – Has anyone actually done one second worth of research? This Wolfpack team is loaded, loaded, loaded. This is a top ten team on talent and it’s borderline criminal to leave it out of the top 25 like the polls did.
    2) Michigan – Everyone is just looking at the offensive backfield and missing how amazing the rest of this team is. The Wolverines should be in the top five (7th in Coaches, 8th in AP) and is one of the true national title contenders.
    3) Auburn – Feeling burned last year, everyone is overlooking how much talent returns. This is a very, very good team that will be in the SEC title hunt all year long.

I am in a college fantasy league where we select teams, not players. We start 5 teams each week, earning points for victories, points scored and points allowed. I have been looking over the 117 teams and need to find a couple "sleeper" teams who will win some games, put up some points and hold the opposing team to a decent score. Do you have any teams in mind? Also, in your opinion, who are your projected top 5 offenses in the nation, going to points scored. Who are your top 5 defenses in the nation, based on points allowed? – RW

A: Five sleeper teams as far as victories, points scored and points allowed.
    1) North Texas – After the initial non-conference nightmare the Mean Green will destroy everyone in the Sun Belt.
    2) Boise State – The last few years should be enough to convince you.
    3) Bowling Green – The schedule is nice and squishy and the team is loaded.
    4) Miami University – MU will still roll even without Ben Roethlisberger.
    5) Northern Illinois – Jim Novak’s best team yet.

Top five projected offenses on points scored … 1) Oklahoma, 2) Hawaii, 3) USC, 4) Texas Tech, 5) Louisville

Top five defenses on points allowed … 1) LSU, 2) Georgia, 3) Iowa, 4) Nebraska, 5) Michigan

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

This read just infuriates me because he never gets called out on the real problem with the formula. He chooses to post the emails that look like SEC/LSU fans are just bitching and moaning about being placed lower than USC. He never has to answer the question of why do you get a MUCH bigger reward for playing a team like Arkansas State on the road than you do for a Georgia or Florida. Very slick, man....

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I just sent him this email:

----------------------------------------------

Hi Pete,

I love your columns on the flaws with the BCS. You seem to hit the nail on the head, pointing out things that most national pundits miss on the fact that the polls are flawed.

However, whoever put together the SOS formula must not have put much thought into it. In your Q & A you failed to post (maybe you didn't get any) one email that points to the real flaw in the formula. Let's suppose you have Georgia on the road and Arkansas State at home. Your average score would be 55.187. Switch Georgia to home and Arkansas State to the road and you have 28.812. Did the schedule get any harder? I'd argue putting your hardest game at home would be easier.

If you look at LSU's schedule for this year, but switch all road games for the easiest 4 home games, suddenly LSU has a top notch schedule according to your formula. (I know the SEC forces you to have 4 road games, but that doesn't matter for the purposes of making my point) Does this schedule make it harder for LSU? I'd say playing your hardest games at home would make your schedule easier in fact.

Oregon State 30.5
    @Arkansas State 108.75 / 2 = 54.375
    Auburn 15.5
    Georgia 3.25
    @Miss State 84.25 / 2 = 37.625
    Florida 14.75
    @Troy State 95.25 / 2 = 47.625
    @Vanderbilt 75.25 / 2 = 37.625
    Alabama 40.5
    Ole Miss 42.25
    Arkansas 54.0
    Total: 378 / 11 = 34.36

I think a much fairer system would give you more credit for playing a harder team on the road, or at least give the same credit for road games across the board.

I hope you don't pass my email over for some of the more poorly thought out emails such as the one's in your Q & A column. I'd like to hear your justification for the formula.

Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------

I hope I get a response.

4. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

I like how he called Vandy a "creampuff" when they have 20 starters returning but he called Arizona "decent." He was right about one thing. Last year our OOC schedule was easy. We did play a PAC 10 team OOC. :eek:ldskule:

5. Tigre Saoul

Tigre Saoul Freshman

6. Tigre Saoul

Tigre Saoul Freshman

"As far as USC, yeah, there isn’t a killer on the schedule, but there are 12 games against average (yeah, I’m counting going to BYU, Stanford and hosting Arizona as average tests) to way above average teams. "

Yeah, LSU showed how "average" Arizona can be.

7. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

That guy is a freaked out junkie....

Now I am not going to tell you that LSU doesn't play cupcakes. Arkansas St & Troy State are cupcakes for sure.

Its things like his answer to NS that make the SOS rankings look so ridiculous. In a single paragraph he downplays Miss. St., Alabama & Ole Miss but builds up BYU, Stanford & Arizona.

ok. thats not odd to him??

1) Miss. State isn't much, but they are every bit as competitive as Ari-freakin-zona. C'mon, man, is he HIGH? Arizona?!? as in 59-13 losers at home?

2) Ole Miss finished 10-3 and he is putting them down while Stanford and BYU won 4 games each??

3) Alabama has good talent, a little thin, and questionable coaching but they are every bit as competitive as BYU or Stanford - they all won 4 games!

thats a complete wash there if not advantage LSU.

Fact of the matter is these teams are all crap relative to a national title contender. No team aspiring to be #1 should lose to ANY of them.

If a MNC contender does not play at least one or two games vs COMPARABLY strong teams it SHOULDN'T be beaten. USC is taking the easy path to the title game, LSU WILL be tested at least three times.

Just like last year.

If he thinks Arizona is a test to a MNC contender, he must be a freaked out junkie.

:lsug:
    :champs:

8. BB

BB Founding Member

If you stack the conferences against each other:

LSU v USC

UGA v Washington State

Florida v Oregon

Tennessee v Cal

Auburn v Oregon State

Ole Miss v Washington

Arkansas v UCLA

South Carolina v Arizona State

Alabama v Stanford

Kentucky / Vandy / MS State v Arizona

I like the SEC...

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

2 " real title contenders" and yet Auburn "is a very, very good team that will be in the SEC title hunt all year long", that sounds like 3 title contenders if they are going to challenge both Gawga and LSU who are "true title contenders". 3 title contenders compared to 1 in the puss 10. Thats 3 "true title contenders in the same conference plus Tennessee, Florida, Bama Both ole miss and Arkansas bounce in and out of the top 25 almost every other year. Crack heads should not be able to vote in the AP poll. :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'd put money on the SEC in the first 8 games listed every year, and in some years I would bet the SEC in all 10. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: