Ask Steve

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, May 19, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Might as well open a can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup. They don't use a roux at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    shane0911 likes this.
  2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

yall asses cant tell the difference after a few handles of jack.

shane0911, stevescookin and Bengal B like this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

In a nutshell folks.

stevescookin likes this.
  4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Dear Steve...what is your recipe for fumunder cheese souflee?

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Ok....what's the punch line??

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Just stay away from it

stevescookin likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

@stevescookin what are some of your favorite little known hole in the wall eateries in the NOLA area. I used to know of a few good ones but I heaven spent much time there lately.

The other day I had to go to Lafayette and there was the usual I-10 parking lot as I approach the bridge. I decided to take the old bridge and then stop at Tony's seafood. When I got to the intersection of Plank and Hollywood there was a police car parked crossways blocking traffic while some people tried to push a stalled truck into the parking lot of Jack's Seafood, a seedy looking little place. By the time the truck got moved and the cop left I really had to piss so I stopped at Jack's thinking there were no bathrooms for the public at Tony's.

There was a sign saying Seafood gumbo $7.99 for 24 ounces so I got some to go. It was surprisingly good, loaded with shrimp and crawfish.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Jimmy Buffett's sister Lucy, owner of Lulu's in Gulf Shores, uses bacon drippings to make the roux.

9. stevescookin

There's a bar called Beachcorner that has the best hamburger value in the city...a 10 oz handmade patty for $6.99. It's delicious. Also, I like to go to La Thai on Prytania. They have an oyster dish that is one of the best plates ever. They dip the oysters in buttermilk and then in salted flour to fry them and serve them over a soy/chili paste sauce. The best in town. The best snowball is at Snola near Camillia grill. Get the Chantilly snow ball it's stuffed with cheesecake and uses wedding cake and strawberry syrup topped with fresh blueberries and strawberries. It's around $5.00 but worth it. Great great desserts are at Sucre near Commander's expensive but worth it. Jack Dempsey's in the By water next to the canal on Poland Ave. Is very good for lunch. I love the hamburgers at Port of Call on Esplanade. They come with a baked potato instead of fries. On veterans Blvd close to the 17th street canal is Fausto's...best lasagne in New Orleans except for Irene's. Irene's is good but they just moved. I'm not sure where they moved. These are places I go.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. stevescookin

Forgit to mention Deanie's in Bucktown. They just opened up on Magazine street but I heard management problems there. That may have changed. R+O's in Bucktown is good too. For po boys I like lots of places. I go to Parasols in the Channel...off Washington Ave. a lot. I live near there so I get the roast beef there. Recommended. For exotic food, I like Boswell's on Tulane near Jeff Davis. It's Jamaican. For something really different, I go to Abyssinia on Magazine. It's Ethiopian food. 5 minutes from where I live. Not everyone will like it, but I do. 5 happiness on Carrolton has the best Chinese food. I go there a lot too.