Assemble your best LSU basketball "team"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pastimer, Feb 16, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

The Coach would be Carrot Top so that he would concentrate on basketball and not dialing down the center every time I turn the TV on.

2. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

I noticed only one other poster gave props to my all time favorite basketball Tiger... Vernell Singleton. What a player!! He was so silky smooth and he did it all. In case any of you don't remember, he even played center the year before Shaq and Stanley arrived. Man I miss watching the Band-Aid man....

3. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I almost put this team on as my original post. They were so much fun to watch.

DeWayne "The Astronaut" Scales might have been the most exciting and charismatic basketball player I ever saw in an LSU uniform (I only saw Pistol Pete in a Jazz uniform). A 6'8" guy that could run like a deer, jump out of the gym and shoot lights out. What a stupendous squandering of talent!

4. Erin Krohl

Erin Krohl Founding Member

I absolutely agree with you about DeWayne Scales! I'd change Shaq for Greg Cook

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Willie Sims was definitely the best sixth man in LSU basketball history. He could come in for a guard or a forward and always stepped the game up a notch.

The coach has to be Dale Brown. Love him or hate him, he coached 25 years, beat Kentucky regularly, took us to 10 straight NCAA tournaments in one stretch, and to two final fours. Nobody else comes close.

6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

"Pistol" Pete Maravich
    Don Redden
    Howard "Hi-C" Carter
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Durand "Rudy" Macklin

Off the bench:

Chris Jackson
    Ethan Martin
    Stromile Swift
    Leanord Mitchell
    Jerry "The Ice Man" Reynolds

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Wasn't DeWayne Scales Jervauhgn Scales dad?

Scales was the first ever player to lead the NCAA in scoring and rebounding in the same year, and he played at Southern...

8. Claw

Claw Founding Member

C- Shaq
    PF- Nikita Wilson
    SF- John Williams
    2G- Chris Jackson
    PG - Derrick Taylor

Petit and Maravich are before my time...that's the best starting 5 in my time...

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Re: Re: Assemble your best LSU basketball "team"

I agree but how could you leave off Bob Pettit, one of the 50 best NBA players of all time, a 6-10 center in favor of a 6-7 center that was a warrior but not even close to the player Pettit was.

Ethan Martin is the best point guard that ever played at LSU IMO.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ethan Martin was the best ball-handler, ball thief, and game controller at point guard. He's probably my favorite player of the era. Every time he came on court or made a big play the crowd would yell "E!"

But Pete Maravich and Chris Jackson also played point for LSU and were All Americans in every year they played. They were showboating crowd pleasers and Maravich still holds the NCAA scoring record, even though playing only 3 years with no 3-point shot. Still Jackson was scoring at a pace to catch him if he hadn't gone pro after his sophomore year.

It's tough. Maybe we should name a team with 3 point guards plus Shaq and Bob Pettit.