Assemble your best LSU basketball "team"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pastimer, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If there had been a 3 point shot when Pete Maravich played how many points would he have scored. A couple of years ago somebody looked at the shot chart from a game against Kentucky that Pete scored 64 points and figured that 12 of his baskets were from beyond the present day 3 point line, or 76 points!

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

my 5:

SG: Pete Maravich
    PG: Ethan Martin (I don't think CJ and Pistol could have co-existed in the same backcourt, so I go with Martin, the best pure point LSU ever had. Both Pistol and CJ were more shooting guards playing the point role anyway.)
    SF: Rudy Macklin
    PF: Bob Petit
    C: Shaquille O'Neal

2nd 5:
    SG: Chris Jackson
    PG: Derrick Taylor
    SF: Leonard Mitchell
    PF: Stromile Swift
    C: Lionel Green

Ricky Blanton and Vernell Singleton fill out the bench.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

1st Team: (this one is obvious except for maybe the forward positions)

1. Pete Maravich (Point)
    2. Chris Jackson (2 Guard)
    3. Stromile Swift (SF)
    4. Rudy Macklin (PF)
    5. Shaquille O'Neal (C)

2nd Team:

1. Ethan Martin (Point)
    2. Hi C Carter (2 Guard)
    3. DeWayne Scales (SF)
    4. Bob Pettit (PF)
    5. Rickey Blanton (C)

Best 6th Man

Willie Sims

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Pistol Pete was both point and shooting guard. Let's face it, he ran the LSU team in every way imaginable.

5. Tigernator

Tigernator Founding Member

First Team
    1. C Shaq
    2. F Macklin
    3. F Petit
    4. G Jackson
    5. G Pistol

Second Team
    1. C Roberts
    2. F John Williams
    3. F Scales
    4. G Hi-C Carter
    5. G Martin

Third Team
    1. C Cook
    2. F Swift
    3. F Blanton
    4. G Wilson
    5. G Taylor

Honorable Mention
    J Smith
    N Wilson
    Green
    Mitchel
    Redden
    Sims
    Henderson

6. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Red,

You are right. John Williams was a stud, & Nikita could shoot(although he was a little fragile IMO), but I absolutely loved Apple Sanders. Jordy might have been a stretch, though. I also didn't add Willie Simms, (who would have started at any other SEC team his senior year), Tree Green, either of the Collis Temples or my engineering buddy, Ed LeBlanc, Eddie Palubinskas, Mike Darnall, Randy (always hurt) Livingston, Ronnie Henderson, Stanely Roberts or Jerry Reynolds. The tigers have had plenty of studs. Now that you mention it John Williams was one I should have added.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Jerry "Ice" Reynolds

I see a couple of you had Jerry Reynolds on your 2nd teams or honorable mention. I had completely forgot about him. He was one of the first LSU players I remember (I was born in '77). Did he play in between the two final four teams? I know he played in the NBA for a number of years. I want to say he may have been on Orlando's first team after expansion towards the end of his career. I can barely remember what happened a month ago sometimes but I want to say he was a SF who was a scorer but took bad shots sometimes. Does this describe him very well?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Reynold was the first LSU player to go pro early. They called it "hardship status" at the time. My best remembrance of Jerry Reynolds was when we played North Carolina on their court on National TV. LSU put on a defensive, ball-control show (no shot clock in those days) and held NC to 9 points in the first half! And they had a couple of guys named Jordan and Worthy playing.

Reynolds had the longest arms of any LSU player and could just reach out and flick the ball away from a careless opponent who thought he was too far away.

9. tigger1

tigger1 Founding Member

hi

Here you go a starting 5 and 10 man back up. I saw everyone play on this list at LSU other than Petit, who I saw play in the pros and later all star games.

PG Ethan "E" Martin (no one was better at getting the ball to the open man, or driving the lane, or defense from the pg spot in LSU history)
    OG "Pistol" Pete Maravich
    SF Rudy Macklin (He is really a PF)
    C Shaq
    PF Bob Petit

the rest:
    PG Derrick Taylor
    PG-OG Chris Jackson
    OG Howard "Hi C" Carter
    OG-SF Don Redden
    SF-C Leonard "Swat" Mitchell (Before he got hurt he was a real force)
    SF-PF John Williams (he is the only playing I would put on the first team ahead of Macklin)
    SF-PF Dewayne "Astronaut" Scales(the first LSU player to go NBA hardship)
    PF Stromile Swift
    PF-C Nikita Wilson
    C Jabari Smith

Others that could make the team, I left off:
    OG Anthony Wilson (came of the bench after two years and scored 1000+ points in his career)
    SF-OG-PF-C Ricky Blanton
    C Lionel Green
    SF-PF Jerry (Ice) Reyonlds
    C Stanely Roberts
    SF Vernell Singleton
    PG Kenny Higgs
    Any of the above I would vote to replace any of the next ten with if needed.

Players forgotten who would at one time have been on a LSU All Star team(these I didn't see play)
    Sparky Wade (Pete Maravich of the 30's)
    Buddy Blair
    Frank Brian
    Joe Dean

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

That was a good list tigger1. I haven't seen all of those guys play but your categories seem to be an overall summary of what most LSU fans agree with. I was a big fan of Jabari Smith but my list would have either Vernel Singleton or Ricky Blanton over him because of their (what seemed like) really long quality careers at LSU.

I like that starting 5 but mine would have Chris Jackson on there somewhere, although he would also be a great spark off the bench. His quickness was incredible for those two years. I named my black lab (mutt) CJ when I got him during Chris Jackson's fresham year.