Atheist and evolution

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by gyver, Jan 11, 2013.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

Yeah good point, in fact in college my physics prof put an asterisk next to our formulas that meant nothing he said was true in case of Jesus. I never failed a test because when I got something "wrong" or made something up I would scream the word Jesus and laugh and that's how physics works. Yunno, magic. Nothing in physics stops childlike idiots from having fantasies and mocking every sane word ever spoken. Of course Muslims always failed the course but they had their own course that said Mohammad was magicker than Jesus. Nothing about physics that prohibits Thor from swinging a war hammer either.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is the way of Natural Selection for a dominant species to crowd out the others in its niche. There were other species of apes that were developing into sentient beings alongside our own species but they were crowded in time out by the more effective species.

Today both Dolphins and elephants are very smart animals and possible could advance significantly in few million years. Elephants will be forces into extinction by humans soon, however. But dolphins may yet achieve sentience.

3. red55

I can agree with all of this except the resurrection business. It is clearly also a metaphor and a parable. A symbol for everlasting life, you know. Dead people have never once been resurrected. Never once. Until this occurs the story must be considered to be a myth.

4. red55

[​IMG]

Perhaps, but unless and until you do it, it must be considered impossible. Else, there is no reality.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Don't dissagree Red but at this time nothing in physics prevents this. Of course nothing in modern medicine allows it either. You know if it did happen 2000 or so years ago then you statement should say "until it occurs again it should be considered a myth. :)

6. red55

All it requires is some evidence. Beware of theoretical physics in the total lack of supporting evidence.

7. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Where did the building blocks of life originate ?

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

exactly, why in the hell would this supposedly all powerful entity have need for rest? for that matter, why would this entity be prone to human like emotions? like getting pissed off and destroying the world when not enough people worshiped him? makes this entity sound more like a hormonal teenage girl than the creator of the universe. I am always amazed by those who constantly are suggesting that they have the inside track on what this God is thinking, or that the totality of God's essence can be summed up in a single book. how god damned foolish are these people?

9. Expat

Expat Veteran Member

I think South Park summarized the evolution theory pretty well:

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=10370

Science is doing a better and beter job at figuring out the "what" part of things. Religion should at most tell us the "why" part of things.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I was being a little facetious there but it points out another facet to consider and respect about people who are educated and intelligent and have a deep and abiding faith in the existance of God and events such as the resurrection etc. There are many who hold to this faith and are scientists who delve deeply into the fundemental background of our world and lives. They not the yahoos Martin and others are so fond of knocking on (and who certainly exist).
    Faith is believing in something without evidence and is more than just a feeling or something of the heart but is deeper and for someone who is educated and sophisticated to make a choice to believe is worth respect.
    I wish I had it (I think), I don't. I am waiting for the evidence you call for but having talked with many while exploring where they get theirs I found it worth respect.

gyver likes this.