Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Isn't it Ironic..

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says - latimes.com

2. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I saw this yesterday, and the report is really misleading. I looked at the data tables, and by far practicing religious people scored the best. It was the non-practicing folks who skewed it, and most of the 'religious' respondents identified themselves as non-practicing.

4. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Did they define "practicing" and does that really matter? And by your response I assume you think 'religious' people that don't practice aren't 'religious'?

5. LSUsupaFan

I only looked at the data tables and not the methodology, so I can't say how it was defined. I think it does matter. One person identified themself as a Lutheren, and under church attendance had 'never'. Would you really expect that person to understand the doctrine of co-substantiation?

That wasn't the intent. I know a bunch of people who call themselves Jews. Hundreds. My god-father is a Jew. I know two of these Jews that have ever been to temple in their adult lives. Most of them were never bar or bat mitzfahed. They still identify themselves as Jews. I also know many people who put Catholic on these type of surveys because their parents, or grandparents were Catholic, not because they know any doctrines of the Church.

6. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

But I take that as the whole point of the survey. People call themselves religious but know nothing about it. Thus why I bolded blind faith.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

It was misleading I read the article and looked at the data tables as well, Supa is right as usual (except when he said he is for abolishing the department of education)

8. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

I find that a lot of those who consider themselves religious are the farthest thing from a Christian. Present company excluded of course.

9. LSUsupaFan

That was the point of the survey, but their methodology was poor. You have to distinguish between people who identify with a religious heritage, who identify with that heritage, and people who are actually religious. There is a difference between the Jew who does to temple, the Hew who doesn't go to temple but has studied his faith, and the Jew that is only a Jew because his lastname is Rothstein.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Then show us this data. The source of the report, U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life shows exactly what was reported above.

[​IMG]

You just don't like what it says.

How does this work?