Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Sep 29, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Man you sound like Les. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah seriously, thta is like some sort of special inscrutable convoluted version of english:

" knowledge and experience about certain things or many things can have the same sense of frustration and irritation that can sadden and discourage"

dude, slow it down, less words, more meaning.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This has all to do with the fact that most atheists are educated (and a lot are actually highly educated) people. They know science. They believe in science. Those things they don't necessarily agree with (Religion and the idea of God) they educate themselves about because that is their nature. To educate themselves.

People who are "religious" are much less educated and usually weak minded folk and rely on Religion as a prop or crutch. They don't necessarily practice it (the majority don't I would guess), but feel like as long as they affiliate themselves with some sort of religion (usually the one they are born into will do quite nicely), then they don't have to live a guilty life.

1 person likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is really only true in the third world. Most religious people in the West are well educated. There may be more atheist and agnostic Ph D's than religious ones, but the religious people in this country are educated quite well enough to understand what mythology is.

Weak minds are not the reason for educated religious peoples refusal to accept any science that conflicts with their beliefs or recognize than many of their truths are mythological. For many it is weak independence and the need to belong to a group. For others it is strong faith that the supernatural magic is real. Strong enough for them to deny science and logic.

5. kitavis

kitavis Founding Member

This because religion has never been a Godly creation. The Law was NEVER about the LAW!!
    "Who requires you of this trampling of My courts?"

6. kitavis

kitavis Founding Member

Worshipers of the one who created religion, are the ones knowing more about it than believers? Imagine that!

7. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

I’ve known a lot of atheist that where dumb as dirt with very little education too Martin.

There is absolutely no correlation between person’s intelligence and their religious beliefs. Though I will say most atheist are, shall we say argumentative, and most argumentative people will seek out facts and information to aid them in an argument. Thus, them being well informed on the topic of religion. Most of the ones I’ve talked to are also conspiracy theorist. That is probably neither here or there though.

On a side note, there is also little correlation between a person’s intelligence and there educational background in my opinion. I’ve meet people with masters who can’t think for themselves if their life depended on it. I have also meet people that have little to no college education that can figure out some of the toughest logic problems out there. Just because you can memorize text and spurt it out, does not make one intelligent.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes, like infants. they are born atheists. some of them are taught to be superstitious, but not all.

incorrect. smarter people are better critical thinkers, and therefore more likely to be atheist.

thats weird. i dont hate anyone like i hate conspiracy theorists.

most smarter people come from smarter families that have been smart for generations and have had time to become educated folks that educate their kids. i would argue that a random college-educated person is smarter than a random non-college educated person, though not by an enormous amount.

i have met women that are stronger than most men. i have met white folks that can jump. i have met black folks that are not criminals. it doesnt mean much relative to the big picture. educated and intelligent folks are less likely to be religious, because being religious is stupid. that doesnt mean that all religious people are stupid, or all atheists are smart. lots of smart people have lots of other failings that keep them from being atheist.

9. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

You mean lately, don't you. History supports the opposite. The wise sage politician of history knew the value of claiming religion and embracing the people. Even today, many politicians understand the value in any skirmish, to draft God first and then get down to building that army and take on the bad guys. God and country, right? That translates in any language.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

not sure what you are talking about. claiming to be religious is not the same as being religious.

obama is an atheist claiming to be christian, thats the way demagogues roll, everyone knows that. power is more important to them than honesty.

i feel like you wanted to make a point that you thought was smart, so you shoehorned it in even though it isnt relevant at all.