Athlon ranks Bama 16th

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, May 14, 2005.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Re: Some of these magazines just list certain teams...

I tend to agree. Bama's defense will win them a lot of games. The probation has cost them depth and a few key injuries could ruin their season, but if they stay healthy they could finish in the top 20 and go to a major bowl.

Bama has come back faster from the scholarship losses than anyone expected. They are not back in th top tier yet, but it is a mistake to write them off.

2. aufan175

aufan175 Freshman

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You take injuries out of the picture and you have a 8-9 win club. With luck, a win more. You can't laugh at 16 and then say 8 wins are a possiblity. The ranking is an 8 win season.

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

W - MTSU
    W - Southern Miss
    W- at South Carolina
    W - Arkansas
    L - Florida
    -bye-
    W - at Ole Miss
    L - Tennessee
    W - Utah State
    W - at Miss. State
    L - LSU
    L - at Auburn

Even in a “generous” scenario, and assuming they remain healthy, Bama finishes at 7-4. (and I’m not yet convinced that Bama can go 3-0 against USC/Ark/Ole Miss.)

Especially Ole Miss. A bye week following a probable loss to UF will see Bama traveling to Oxford while looking ahead to Tennessee ..... I don’t think so.

Bama has a superb defense that anyone in the conference would be proud to claim, including LSU and Auburn. That being said, they aren’t terribly deep. Opponents with solid defenses, like UF, UT, LSU, and AU will force Bama’s offense into frequent 3 & outs, tiring them over the first 3 quarters and having their way with them in the 4th. Can Bama’s defense dominate for four full quarters against the four heavies on its schedule? Doubtful, even with a healthy Croyle.

And then there’s Bama’s traditional letdown against Non-cons that always seems to surprise them. I don’t believe that will happen this season, but if Bama experiences ANY injuries to Croyle or the already-thin O-line, then the road game to Miss State game becomes a potential landmine for the Tide.

No, IMO, Bama prolly goes 7-4 and finishes somewhere around 22nd-23rd in the coaches poll. Where they rank today is of zero relevance, really.

5. Bama My Heart

Bama My Heart Founding Member

Why is everybody getting so upset about this projected poll with Bama #16. It doesn't mean one thing what someone predicts, because that is just what it is, a prediction. Predictions are not that reliable when you are dealing with human beings. The Auburn fans are getting so upset, because this put Bama ranked higher than them. They should know better than anyone that these things mean nothing. Year before last they were predicted #1 in the nation and then lost their first 2 games, last year they were predicted #17 to start with, and ended up being #2. I just don't believe these guys know what they are doing.Why is everyone taking it out on the Bama fans, and saying we're crazy because of this poll. We didn't predict it or claim to be #16 so get off our backs. I just don't understand the hostility. You call us cheaters(even though we are not the only ones in the SEC that has ever been on probation & not just once), and we've paid for our crime, and are just trying to build our team back up. I (and can only speak for myself) don't care if LSU is projected #1 and Auburn #2, because they will have to prove that they deserve it during the season. If they do have a great year and they're still ranked that way...so be it. We will have had a chance at both of them, and if we can't beat them, then we don't deserve to be ranked higher. The ranking would occur after the games, and doesn't that mean more than this off season stuff?

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Dude, nowhere in this thread is anybody getting upset or calling Alabama "cheaters." It's just some good ole, spirited, opinionated debate during the offseason ....... relax and enjoy the ride. :cool:

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I was thinking 7-4 before...but I'm about to elevate that to an 8 win season.

There are a lot of teams in the SEC that are replacing backfields (defense) and that bodes well for an experience QB.

It's a difficult schedule, no doubt. But, there are a few programs that are rated a bit higher than they should be, Bama included. I'd put us top 25, but top 20? Give me two games and I'll get back with ya. Hell, I'd be surprised if Brodie makes it past MTSU (knowing well they'll be after the QB.) But, JPW is something to be contended with. He's ready, and that isn't my opinion alone but one shared by the staff. Right now, he's better on the run than Brodie ever was and that bodes well with the inexperienced offensive line.

If I may...

Most of the RB yards last year came after contact. Avoid that injury bug (sucks to be starting 3's at the end of the year like we were) and it is a impressive group.

There is always the possibility to have a little luck...and we need it next year.

8. Bama My Heart

Bama My Heart Founding Member

Maybe you're right. It just seems that way. I guess I'm of the old school and am just having a hard time thinking that people would be shocked if we have a top 25 ranking before the season even starts. Guys its been hard, and we're still not used to losing, so it's hard for us to take such critism. So just bear with us, and we either start winning games, or get use to losing(oh please,please from the powers that be don't let that happen).

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Don't worry, your team will beat Aubarn in this upcoming football season.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I hate when people use the word "violent" to describe football. Violent denotes malice, or intent to cause harm... I prefer to call football "physical". While their are violent players who go out with the intent to cause harm, the game, in spirit, is not violent.