Athlon ranks Bama 16th

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, May 14, 2005.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Re: Some of these magazines just list certain teams...

Croyle was dead last in the SEC in 2003 in Passing Eff.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

lol, yes.. That's why I asked if he was having a bad day. That bama guy actually has made some nice posts around here. He was just overly defensive in this thread heh.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I think you are talking about Zow. An SEC championship with him is a bit more than Tannyhill ever accomplished. Heck, they haven't even gotten a whif of an SEC East title yet, much less a conference title.

Perhaps Watts? Yeah, another SEC title there (duo system) and he pretty well had his way with a lot of defenses leading the SEC in rushing for QB's. Had a good game in BR that year...'member the fRan - Saban showdown at mid-field?

A lot of attention here is being placed on Brodie. However, even if he goes down if there is one area Bama has some talent in it's the QB position. Not experience, but talent.

Now, you put Brodie with the experienced receivers.....

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I assume you got that off of SECsports.com. He wasn't "dead last" in the SEC. He ended up ranked 10th in a season he didn't complete due to injury.

Last year, in his first three games he lead the league. Again, it is all about how many games he plays, not about his talent.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

He may not have finished last, I suspect the SC and MOO U QB's were worse as they were horrible, but he was pretty bad for a college QB and he did play in 12 games that year I believe. Last year he had a good showing vs 2 very bad teams and an Ole Miss team that started off very poor, but at least he did do good vs an SEC defense. I think he'll be an average QB in 2005 if he stays healthy. But he won't lead the SEC in efficiency.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Anything could happen, but he hasn't shown me anything yet to suggest that. Croyle is held in high esteem in Bama, but around the league he is known as a promising, but injury-prone average SEC quarterback.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

FWIW, here's a link to the sports editor of Athlon with his reasoning behind the #16 pick, how the East and West will play out, etc.

They've got UT and UF in the East but I think that order will be flipped by the end of the season.

LSU is picked in the West followed by Bama...

It's the Mitch Light interview

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Y'all are funny...... Bama's the 4th best team in the state and y'all believe they're going to offer competition for LSU? :hihi: get real.

From 2000-2004 sorted by win%:

61 UAB 0.51724 30 28 0 58
    62 Oklahoma State 0.51667 31 29 0 60
    63 Iowa State 0.51613 32 30 0 62
    64 Troy 0.51064 24 23 0 47
    65 Alabama 0.49180 30 31 0 61

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I guess a team can't improve?? Especially one that got so bad in the first place because of NCAA sanctions and punishments?

I remember when Auburn stunk something awful--wait! That's this year's Wareagles! :thumb:

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Yes, he was dead last in starting QB's Passing Eff.

He has almost as many passes, attempt wise and such, as every other QB. The stats don't lie.

Against 3-win Utah State, 4-win UM, and a D-2 team...