Attention Terrytown/Gretna Tigers--missing dog

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bestbank Tiger, Apr 2, 2003.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Good luck with the search

Every day that I check this board and someone has posted on this thread I hope its good news about Maximus.

Just to join in on the dog talk, my first dog was a Boston Terrier mutt (Tuffy) and my dad's family has had a couple of Boston Terriers that were good dogs although they probably spoil them too much. I currently have a beagle/terrier mix (Abbey) who definitely has a barking problem but her intentions are good. It's always when there is someone near our yard or a ferocious cat attempting to break in. We also have a Basset Hound that has more personality than I've ever seen in a dog. I never realized Bassets were so spunky and full of energy. I just always think of that Duke's of Hazzard dog with the sad face. Anyway, their wrestling/chase sessions are something to see.

2. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Thanks, man.

The best news I can give you right now is he's still OK. We saw him Tuesday night but weren't able to catch him. Trouble is dogs have no concept of time--gone for 2 weeks, gone for 2 minutes, same to them. That's probably why he won't come to us; he's having fun running free.

We take his littermate on our searches because he'd probably come to her. On Tuesday, we saw him cross the WB Expressway and run into the Suzuki dealership lot. My mom and I got out and went in different directions. She ran into him, but Stella (Max's sister) and I didn't. He ran back into Maplewood.

I think we'll get him eventually--he's staying in the same area and a lot of people are looking for him. Someone will figure out how to catch him and claim the reward.

3. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

man, he sounds like a frustrating dog, good luck catching him.

4. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

by the way, do the beagles like to wonder off a lot? I heard someone telling me this as a negative about beagles. Also, my Dad's neighbors dogs smell, is it just because they are always outside in a cage or are they naturally smelly dogs?

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

My beagle did wonder a lot, she would dig under the fence and make a break for it, find some crap to roll in and she was out on the hunt, Here is Dallas that is bad, I had to go find her all the time, however back home in Baton Rouge and at the camp I just let her go she would come back about 2 hours.

beagles are great dogs, but they are hard to house break, the like to explore. The are hounds, hunting dogs. So if you are looking for an in house lap dog I dont suggest a beagle, but I loved my beagle. She was just a bit of work...

As for the smell, I can say I never had that problem. I mean if you bath the dog and it is not outside 24/7 then they are actually less stinky, they have short hair.

But if you are going to keep the dog outside 24/7 what is the point of getting a dog, but that is just me.

6. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Neither Max nor Stella smells bad. Of course, they aren't purebreds either--their mom was a homeless beagle and we have no idea who thier father was.

Stella is very calm and low-key most of the time. Max is hyper--he barks, chews, runs back and forth, etc. Neither was that hard to housebreak--the best way to do it is keep them in a small area of the house (like the laundry room) for a few days when you're going to be around to watch them. Having a fenced yard's a big help--first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after they eat, or whenever they're looking for a spot, you toss them outside.