Auburn began LSU planning months ago

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Sep 10, 2006.

1. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rmelick.ssf?/base/sports/1157880347260920.xml&coll=2

Auburn began LSU planning months ago
    Sunday, September 10, 2006
    If there is such a thing as the "thought police," they have Tommy Tuberville nailed.

The rule says no one is allowed to start thinking about the next game until the current game is over, and the Auburn coach tried.

But how do you not look ahead to the game that has decided the Southeastern Conference Western Division title in five of the past six seasons?

Tuberville told reporters after Auburn's 34-0 victory over Mississippi State that he started thinking about this week's game before the first half was over Saturday.

Later, Tuberville admitted LSU had been on his mind a lot longer than that.

``We've been planning for this (LSU) game since January," Tuberville said. ``We've talked to people about LSU. We watched film all summer. We've been making subtle preparations for this game all along."

For the past two weeks, every good thing his team did, Tuberville wondered if it would be good enough to beat LSU. Every mistake his team made not that there have been many Tuberville worried what such a mistake might mean against LSU.

It sounds like blasphemy in a state where the Iron Bowl is everything, but the LSU game has been the most important game to Auburn the past few years simply because of how close the games have been, and the stakes.

Last year, Auburn missed five field goals and lost by three points in overtime. It was Auburn's only loss in SEC play, but it was enough to send LSU to Atlanta and leave Auburn at home.

Two years ago, Auburn got a second chance at an extra point as time ran out, beating LSU 10-9. Auburn went on to win the SEC and finish the season undefeated.

During the past six seasons, Auburn is 3-3 against LSU, 3-0 at home and 0-3 on the road, with three division titles in the three seasons Auburn beat LSU.

Can you blame anyone around this program for not looking ahead?

``I heard a couple players talking about LSU in the locker room this week," Tuberville said. ``And a couple more talking about LSU in the training room.

``I put a stop to it. But I understand. It's a big game, a fun game for players and coaches and fans. We've been working on everything we're going to do (against LSU) since two-a-days, but we haven't done it all."

Auburn won't try the same plan this Saturday as the past two Saturdays.

"We can't play the same type ball next week that we have the last two weeks," Tuberville said, "but we've been working on that the last couple of weeks not that we haven't been preparing for these games, but "

No need to apologize. Auburn is 2-0, and has outscored its first two opponents 74-14.

Imagine what this team might have done had it really focused on Washington State and Mississippi State.

Tuberville gave the green light to his players to start thinking about LSU in the locker room immediately after the Mississippi State game.

What he didn't tell them was, he'd blown through that intersection months ago.

2. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

It's kind of like UGA in '04- their entire year was aimed at getting us back for '03.

I wonder how long Miles has been doing the same.

Anyone who told you they hadn't been planning for this game would be lying.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

After watching the Arizona game, I kinda hope they WERE overlooking that game! :hihi:

Auburn (rightly) knows that we are their one big roadblock to them having another undefeated season and finishing #2. :rofl:

4. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

For the first 2 quarters against Miss St Auburn did not look all that impressive.

Auburn scored one touchdown because Miss St fumbled it at there 2 yard line.

It also seemed that Miss St was able to stop the run pretty decent. Their downfall in the later 2nd quarter and 2nd half was that the offense could not keep the defense off the field long enough for a a decent rest for the def.

5. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I think that LSU has it's best chance to beat AUB at their house this year. If LSU comes out flat, they will have BIG problems. BUT, If LSU can execute their game plan, they are too explosive on offense and defense for AU to hang with them. I am sure that AU's home crowd will play a factor. Also, if CTT has been planning this long, you can bet they have a few ideas how to beat LSU.

6. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Look, its just another very good Auburn team (who should be ranked top 10). Lately, however, Herb and Lee has been tossing Auburn's salad. Auburn has been effectively Herbie Hyped, and is probably a tad overrated.

LSU, however, may have something special this year. The D last night reminded me of the Huskies and Canes in '91, swarming. Offense looked potent, with upside remaining. This could be a very special year.

7. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I don't think AU is overrated at all! They are the real deal and LSU will have to bring its A+ game to beat AU. But at the same time......AU will have to bring its A+ game to beat LSU as well. Should be a great game and I can't wait till Saturday!!

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Whoever says the Barn is overrated is an idiot. This is the game that decides the West.

9. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

The West? I think it decides the SEC.

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

We'll see....

LSU 37 Auburn 13