Auburn Fires Renfroe

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Jun 9, 2004.

1. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I haven't seen this posted here yet. Thought some might be interested to know that Auburn fired their baseball coach Steve(?) Renfroe on Monday. Seems missing the SEC Championship Tourney for the first time in eight years and having an overall .500 record in the SEC was it.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Think we could get him? :eek:

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah heard when it happened and i think its a mistake. Auburn pumped a ton of money into their stadium and I guess were looking for more too soon. But they keep Dumbo.... renfroe was an asst. under Hal Baird forever. Makes no sense.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Is Tubby like the only person at Auburn not to be fired this year?

5. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Too quick on the trigger.

Unless there is some kind of misconduct that we haven't heard about, I think that they were too quick on the trigger.

6. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

As do I.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

There are a couple of "schools of thought" I've heard that are woven into the decision. The first is that new President Ed Richardson is attempting to publically sever the "old ties" between athletic staff and the board of trustees for the purposes of demonstrating solid institutional control to SACS.

The second, which makes more sense to me, is that Renfroe (who was chummy with new AD Hal Baird) had a sub-500 record against SEC competition. I suspect this had more to do with Renfroes departure than anything else. I can assure you it nothing to do with Plainsman Park or it's cost.

BTW - can't wait to see construction get started on the new Box. It's gonna be niiiiiiice!