Auburn game this season...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

What do you guys think about it. I say the Tigers win a hard fought battle by a touch down. 17-10 LSU. :geauxtige

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think these two teams are very well balanced and it could go either way. The home team usually wins when its like this, but LSU is deeper than Auburn. I think its a toss-up, but an overtime game favors LSU.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Well, I don't believe you can go wrong with that prediction :D

[​IMG]

4. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Get back to you after each team plays a few games. I know it is highly anticipated but LSU has a lot of questions to answer the RB position. Our receivers haven't proven that they can catch any better than last year.

I realize that this sounds negative but the proof in the pudding is in the eating. I know nothing about AU. But the games that are able to be viewed should shed some light on the subject.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Auburn has the advantage here due to playing the game at their stadium. Both are very talented teams which had some losses to graduation/the draft and have young talent stepping up. If LSU comes away with a victory, it will be a very, very significant win. Something Saban could never do.

6. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

who knows they are evenly matched like someone already said. All I know is that Ive got tickets on the 35 15rows up and I will have my LSU flag with me in the middle of a bunch of barners:hihi: . It will be a great game though can't wait for this season to start.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Okay, I’ll preface my remarks by stating that it is still very early to make a prediction. The team that wins could very well be the team that escapes the injury-bug during fall ball …. that’s how evenly matched these two teams actually are.

So, with that said, here’s my assessment with as much objectivity as I can muster:

Offense

QB – Advantage: Even
    Russell and Cox are both experienced and both are capable of successfully executing their respective schemes ….. and it should be noted that Fisher and Borges have done a good job at fitting their schemes around the strengths of their respective QB’s.

Running Backs – Advantage: Even
    Although my natural bias leans to AU, it’s difficult to overlook the quality that LSU brings in Broussard and Hester. I’m convinced AU has more versatile and deeper tailbacks (I’m not sold on JV or KW yet) but I’m convinced Hester may be a better FB than Stewart.

O-Line – Advantage : Auburn
    LSU has the talent, the question is can they gel as an effective OL-unit this early in the season? Losing three conference stars like Whitworth, Livings, and The Wanger are going to be felt more than most believe. Likewise, losing McNeil will be felt for AU.

TE’s – Slight Advantage: AuburnI’ll take Bennett/Trott/McKenzie over Zinger & Cole. They all block reasonably well, especially Bennett, McKenzie, and Zinger …… but Bennett and Trott have the edge in versatility due to their receiving capabilities.

Receivers – Advantage : LSU
    Speed kills and LSU has a roster that is chock-full of speed merchants. Bowe and Davis are studs and will challenge Muschamp’s best scheme. As I’ve stated before, Doucet is too inconsistent and I’m surprised Lafell isn’t used more. Auburn counters with Courtney Taylor (finally healthy) Robert Dunn, and P-rod. Not as much speed, but sure handed and confident enough that they are not afraid of catching the ball in traffic – and that includes Landry’s patch. Lee Guess is a small, but crafty possession-receiver that is absolute “clutch” during a crunch. Guess was Cox’s primary receiver throughout HS and they have a weird “sixth sense” type of QB-SR connection.

Overall Offense: Slight Advantage: Auburn

Defense

D-Front – Advantage: Even
    Both D-lines are going through some changes due to loss of leadership. LSU loses slightly more than AU with the absence of Wroten, MO, and Williams than does Auburn with the loss of McClover and Jackson. I like AU’s tandem of DE’s better than LSU’s due to their ability of stuff the run as well as the pass, and that could very well be the difference that sets the two squads apart.

Linebackers – Slight Edge : Auburn
    Both units are fast, athletic, and aggressive. Auburn’s unit is slightly more experienced, especially at stopping the run. The team that successfully stuff’s the run will win this game, and hence the SEC West.

Defensive Backs: Slight Edge: LSU
    These two secondaries could easily be the envy of most teams nationally, with Auburn having the better tandem of corners (Irons/Wilhite) and LSU having the better tandem of Safeties (Landry/ JD) . If the starters remain healthy, these two units are going to play hell with the rest of the SEC, especially those teams that rely on the pass (Florida, Ole Miss). If AU’s secondary isn’t challenged deep, they’ll be able to provide key run-stop support for AU’s front 7. If the CB’s are forced to play soft and unable to give full support then it will be a different story. IMO, this will be the critical key to the entire game.

Overall Defense: Very Slight Advantage: LSU

Special Teams – Slight Advantage: Auburn
    Kody Bliss will play a key role in what will arguably turn into a low-scoring battle for field position. LSU will have an advantage at Kicker and Kick returns. Auburn will have a slight Advantage at Punter and Punt returns. I expect return yards to be limited for both teams, so field position will be the decisive factor.

Intangibles

Coaching - Advantage: Even
    These are two of the best overall staffs the SEC has to offer. Muschamp knows Fisher, Fisher knows Muschamp, and Bo Knows everything else. Borges versus Pellini will be a superb subplot for this game.

Home Field – Advantage: Auburn
    Jordan-Hare will be rocking for this one as 88,000 fans will understand the high stakes. National TV audience, Day game starting time.

Weather – unknown, but could play a major factor as it has in the past.

Total Overall –Advantage: Dead Even
    I still think overall team health will be the deciding factor when these two meet.
    Key for Auburn’s season – remain healthy at the QB position.
    Key for LSU’s season – get the O-Line to gel in time for the Auburn game.

Of course, I’ll be pulling for Auburn so I’ll take a SWAG and say that Courtney Taylor will require a double-team, which will free-up Robert Dunn to score the go-ahead TD ......“Auburn wins, 20-17”

[​IMG]

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Pretty good analysis Caddy, can't really argue with most of what you said. I do believe that you have no advantage in the punting game though as Chris Jackson was incredible last year in positioning his punts, especially inside the 10 yard line. But then you give us an advantage in the return game even though we have no proven return guys at this time, so that balances out.

I'd also have to give Auburn an advantage at RB until AB proves he is 100% in mind and body. And overall I'd give Auburn the advantage with the home field added on.

9. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I agree...nobody really knows how AB will play this year.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Isn't John Vaughn still the PK?