auburn hype laughable

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Aug 24, 2003.

1. texascajun

texascajun Founding Member

Amen, SabanFan. Arkansas also beat both teams last year. WTF does that prove exactly? Does anyone actually believe the hogs are better than Auburn or LSU? Point. Let's chalk up last year to last year and move on.

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

"IF LSU kicks AU's ass this year do you promise to quit referring to last year"

of course . . .it would be irrelvant . .

also . .about Arkansas - you are absolutely right . they beat both teams last year .and went to the SECCG as deserves.

I bet there are plenty of hog fans who think Arkansas is better than AU and LSU.

Previous year results are only valid if there are similarities between last years teams and this years teams . . unless of course . .you are only using them to talk smack ;)

3. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

i think running back depth is important

The reason Auburn rolled LSU last year was because LSU was going 3 and out or throwing a pick. I'll chalk that up Randall's first road start and the fact he may be a sub par passer to begin with. Ronnie Brown looked great against a D that could never take a breather. Let's see how great Auburn's rushing attack looks if Campbell goes out. We'll get to see some of that AU QB depth right?

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I am not sticking up for Auburn, I promise but I also think the media at times is putting AU at a level where if they lose1-2 games, the season is a total failure. I for one dont think AU will go undefeated because I am not sold on Campbell whatsoever. But...if he does breakout, I can see AU doing very well.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. Five teams have won the SEC in the last five years. Auburn isn't one of them. I think they still have a lot to prove.

2. Auburn does have some excellent running backs. But its not like they are the four best backs in the league or something.

3. LSU lost big to Bama and Auburn last year because we lost our QB in mid-season. You can't count on that happening again. Bammers and Barners that are still crowing about last years scores are making a mistake if they think it has much relevance to this years team.

6. SiberianTiger

SiberianTiger Founding Member

Saturday's game against USC will obviously go a long way in proving this hype right or wrong. If they win Saturday, even Trev Alberts might have to say something good about them.

7. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

Well, of course. Isn't that how bragging rights work anyway? You get to brag until next year's game. If you win, you brag about winning 2 years in a row. If you lose, the other side gets to brag for a year. DUH! :D

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I wanted it in writing.

9. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

That's about as legitimate a reason to doubt them this season as it was to doubt LSU in 2001. The last SEC title you had won or tied for was 1988 before then. Here's the lead up in the 12 seasons between '88 and '01:

LSU's Conference Record
    1989: 2-5
    1990: 2-5
    1991: 3-4
    1992: 1-7
    1993: 3-5
    1994: 3-5
    1995: 4-3-1
    1996: 6-2 *tied for West title, Bama won tiebreaker
    1997: 6-2 *tied for West title, AU won tiebreaker
    1998: 2-6
    1999: 1-7
    2000: 5-3

If Auburn is a legitimate SEC or national title contender, it is based on the talent they have and how much they want it. Whether they've "won anything in a long time" is completely irrelevant.

10. texascajun

texascajun Founding Member

"If Auburn is a legitimate SEC or national title contender, it is based on the talent they have and how much they want it.

Titan tiger, based on this statement what are your opinions on the team LSU will be fielding next year?