Auburn's BCS chances: a closer look at the numbers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 19, 2004.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Bingo! :thumb:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Unfortunately, in the BCS world, those rankings don't mean crap.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

True SabanFan, but my post was intended only to mean that I believe Auburn would handle OU in a head-to-head. The Sooners are a good team with a tremendous amount of talent and a coach that knows how to use it. However, they are not a complete team, and that is what LSU exposed so badly last year. That is the difference between them - Auburn is a complete team.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

OU didn't have a running game last year. Peterson changed that. Jason White has played well enough lately to vault himself back into the Heisman race. OU's defense is very good. It would be a good game but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

OU's defense is not very good at all. Last i saw it was 5th in their conference. their pass defense is weak to say the least. AU is light years ahead of their defense and if you know anything its defense is the difference when top programs meet. nice try though.

6. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Our pass defense is not so weak anymore. We finally got a very good starter back last game. He was injured in the Texas game and is now healthy. He was surely missed. Our other corner, Eric Bassey, was benched in the second half of the aTm game. We pulled the redshirt off a superstud freshman. Once he got into the game. Things changed in the aTm deep passing attack success.

Our biggest weakness is special team. Our place kicker is not having a good year. Weird. He was up for kicker of the year last year.

As far as rushing defense, we held two Heisman hopefuls to under 100 yards rushing this season. They were Benson and Morency. Morency is now hurt and out of the race.

I like our chances. All 3 teams in the race are really good.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

bassey was getting torched. no way you are good in that secondary even with your stud. don't be delusional. its a bad secondary. A&M is not a passing team with McNeal. he is good but cmon.

8. Mr. Peabody

Yeah, Bassey has gotten torched all season long.

With Antonio Perkins back and the stud freshman we are much better than we were since the Texas game. We are not in the least as weak as we were before.

Special teams is our big problem.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Unfortunately, you won't get tested again in your secondary until your Bowl game.

So you really won't know what to expect against USC, should you hang on to 2nd place.

10. Mr. Peabody

I agree with that. It's a fair assumption. I like our chances now better than before though.