August practice is coming

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jul 17, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's time to talk some football. Some things are clear at this point, some are not.

OFFENSE -- Jennings' foolishness has cost him August practice and possibly a few games to start the season. This gives Harris a free shot at starting all camp and the first few games. He will never get a better opportunity to demonstrate that he has grown up some, started working harder, and can pass the football effectively. We will be dangerously thin if we take any injuries at QB. If Harris blows this chance, the coaches will have to hope Jennings can get us by until Franks arrives. And that would just leave us starting another freshman quarterback in the SEC. For the sake of the program and their careers, both Harris and Jennings must come through this season and play like experienced quarterbacks.

LSU appears to be strong at running back, wide receiver, and the offensive line. We need a big step up at tight end this season or its time for Ensminger to retire. Essentially our offense depends on improvement at quarterback and tight end.

DEFENSE -- LSU has fewer question marks than last season, but still has a few with a new DC. The defensive line is shallower than we are used to and no silverback gorilla has emerged at DT yet. We are missing a dominating defensive end as well. Time for someone to step up in both places. But I suspect Orgeron will field a better line than Brick did. There is talent at linebacker, but they still have a lot to prove on the field. Beckwith is a huge run-stopper and if he has learned how to cover passes in his zone he could be All-SEC. But he is going to be tried early and often until he shows he can do it. LSU seems to be deep and talented at defensive back. If O can manage a decent 4-man pass rush, we will be hard to throw on.

SPECIAL TEAMS -- I still hope we don't have to use Fournette as an every-game kick returner. Losing him to an unnecessary injury would be devastating. I hope they can save him for the big game, can't fail situations. But Fournette is 10 pounds lighter and faster than last season. It may be hard for anybody to take the job away from him. Our punter is strong. I hope our kickers can be consistent.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Not so sure about that. Here's Les' comment from media day yesterday.
    "There will be plenty of opportunity for Brandon Harris to make his case long before we play the first game. Same thing is true for Anthony."

3. red55

I'm sure he wants Jennings back this week, but he said he must await the legal proceedings and they may take quite a while. I can't see him giving Jennings much time working with the first team and he's sure to be suspended for at least one game. As I understand it, Jennings has not even been practicing in 7-on-7 during summer workouts. He may be like Jefferson and have to sit the pine for a while.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

jordan jennings jr will be the starter by conference play regardless. zach harris probably knows this.

islstl and HalloweenRun like this.
  5. red55

I wondered who would be the first to post some made-up un-funny bullshit in a serious football discussion.

Richdog, HalloweenRun, LSUDad and 3 others like this.
  6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Yes. Harris will not get a better and maybe even just another opportunity. If he can't make strides over a guy that sits out summer camp and the first few games of the season then it will be ugly.

7. tirk

i kept reading how bad fournettes clothes were but im not hating on him. i got no problem with him daring to be a little different.

[​IMG]

islstl and LSUpride123 like this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Someone says it is better to try and fail than fail to try.

9. tirk

if youve ever watch the nfl or nba draft then you know this is closer to the best dressed list than not.

Cajun Sensation and StaceyO like this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think you're gonna see Sione and Tashawn step up on the ends. Sione has so much energy, I love what he brings to the field. Both he and Bower played pretty well in the limited action they had last year.

StaceyO likes this.