Ayn Rand argues...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Frogleg, May 25, 2005.

1. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

As Ayn Rand argues, "Life is a process of self-sustaining and self-generated action." Such a process begins when an egg and sperm cell unite. Thus, a new living being comes into existence at conception. All human beings have the right to life, so even a newly fertilized zygote (being a living human being) has the right to life. And "the right to life," explains Rand, "means the right to engage in self-sustaining and self-generated action." For a zygote, embryo, or fetus, this means the right to continue receiving sustenance and shelter from its mother. Therefore, abortion is murder.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Ayn Rand is/was also extremely radical. Many say that many of her essays were merely exercises in such.

Ever read 'In Defense of Ethical Egoism?' If you buy it, it will completely annhiliate your theory on morals.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Why is it that we are supposed to accept the theories of humanists as fact?

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I never said that we were. I was speaking directly to frogleg, under the condition of him 'buying it'.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Monty Pyton argues...

Every Sperm Is Sacred

DAD:
    There are Jews in the world.
    There are Buddhists.
    There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
    There are those that follow Mohammed, but
    I've never been one of them.

I'm a Roman Catholic,
    And have been since before I was born,
    And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm.

You don't have to be a six-footer.
    You don't have to have a great brain.
    You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
    A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

CHILDREN:
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Every sperm is great.
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course abortion is murder. murder is good sometimes.

who cares what ayn rand thinks. there is a window of time when people think ayn rand is good. it starts in college and ends a couple years after. ayn rand is simplistic and dumb.

you should not care what ayn rand thinks, only what martin thinks.

7. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

In a related note, Re: House passes Stem Cell research bill, President to Veto

Lamest political comment ever

Majority Leader Tom DeLay said the embryonic research bill would force taxpayers to finance "the dismemberment of living, distinct human beings."
    The rhetoric didn't sway many Democrats.

"I don't need a lecture from the majority leader on moral and ethical leadership," said Rep. Pete Stark, D-Calif., referring to questions that have been raised about DeLay's travel, fundraising and associations with a lobbyist now under federal criminal investigation.

Arggh, wtf is that? As important an issue as stem cell research is and all the good it would do, why the need to bring the politics of DeLay's ethics stuff into it? God i hate politicians.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm against it too. I do not want my tax money going to the growth and harvesting of human embryos.

The Demoncats are just saying that Delay is not the kind of ethical paragon to warrant his outspokenness against stem-cell research. I agree.... I doubt that Delay's personal beliefs sway him one way or another, he is just singing the song of the party he is currently affiliated with.

9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand.

Generally agree. But i also believe other things too, im not a Rand zealot. But the best thing about Rand was her 180 break from traditional philosophy, where the idiots preached, "Man is nothing. We know nothing. How can we be sure of anything? ."

Frogleg's Philosophy:
    Well i believe in myself first of all, charitable to whom i deem worthy, reason that there probably is a god/supreme being, and am an objectivist to some degree, and believe to some degree in karma, which refers back to a god. Oops, now it'll be hard for martin to place me in his neat categories that he's so fond of.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

what do you mean, i can easily place you in the category of someone who believes in magic. thats one of my two main categories. the other is sane people.