Ayn Rand argues...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Frogleg, May 25, 2005.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Man was deceived from DAY 1 with this mentality. "You will not surely die....you will be like God..."

2. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your right to choose MT, but the Nietzsche reference isn't entirely correct. Nietzsche was an atheist. Nietzsche's angle is that there is no god. We've killed him.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, there are very many species which kill their own young, some at birth. Many other species will kill each other including pregnant females, so there are certainly unborn fetuses killed by their own species.

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I don't think we've killed Him...we've just given Him a lot of gray hair. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

None do just because the young are unwanted. None at the rate at which we kill ours. None are done just out of selfishness. None stick a vacuum hose up the females and suck the unborn fetus out and throw it in a garbage can. There is no comparison to our actions. Period.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

he is right about the vacuum part. i never saw no dang animal using no doggone vacuum.

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

what you are failing to recognize, in my opinion, is that other species do not think rationally...they act on instinct. other species cannot decipher right from wrong, so to compare the actions of humans to other species in this manner is a moot point.

all i am saying is people should be able to choose to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. having a child is a big responsibility and change in a perons life, and some people just can't handle that responsibility. the choice of aborting a pregnancy is the correct choice in many instances for them. aborting the pregnancies of rape victims is also very acceptable...would you want to be responsible for the child of the person who raped you just because you were not able to make the choice to abort the pregnancy? did Mr Rand think about this when he issued is edict on when life starts?

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

What is rational about humans killing babies? It's not a moot point either, we should be above the beast, not below them.

If a woman is raped, it is not the resulting childs fault. He or she is still an innocent creation that should be allowed to be born and live. If the woman cannot raise the child, then there are plenty of couples looking to adopt. Why punish the child? Why sentence him or her to death? Two wrongs do not make a right.

I believe that life starts at conception. Why wouldn't it? No study or report has ever proven this not to be true. I challenge you to find one. So, since life begins at conception, then abortion of any type is murder. People talk about the health of the mother. Personally, I have never heard of a condition that if the pregancy was allowed to continue it's course, would kill or seriously hurt the mother. Maybe you can tell me of one.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

rand is a chick yo!

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Here's a quote from the late Ayn Rand:

"An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn). Abortion is a moral right-- which should be left to the sole discretion of the woman involved; morally, nothing other than her wish in the matter is to be considered. Who can conceivably have the right to dictate to her what disposition she is to make of the functions of her body?"