Back from Auburn...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Oct 28, 2002.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

A lot of what I am going to say has probably already been said by some folks, but not all of it.

First, I dont think there is a more boring stretch of land in the country than that between Mobile and Auburn, albeit the stretch from Baton Rouge to Auburn is longer.

After making the trip up on friday afternoon, my Auburn alum comrade and I made the trip to downtown Auburn. I dont remember the names of all the bars we went to, but I think we hit just about every one in the area around Tigris and Bourbon St. I think those names are right. Everywhere we went was packed with LSU and Auburn faithful. In fact, I think we might have even had the locals outnumbered. To quote a fellow Tiger fan after the game, "Our football team might not have shown up, but the drinking team did." I met a lot of great fans from both schools, and really had some good discussion with some Auburn folks. There was some cheering and taunting out on the street, but everyone was smiling and having fun. Great time friday night.

Saturday morning was tough. After getting in bed at around 6:30 saturday morning and struggling to get up for gameday, we made it to our seats to watch our Tigers tack one more on under "W". So much for that... We got beat in every aspect of the game: offense, defense, special teams, coaching, everything. I will say that Auburn is a completely different team with Jason Campbell behind center. With Cobb, you just have watch to see if he turns around and says something to Carnell. If he does, tackle Carnell, if he doesnt, tackle Cobb or intercept a bad pass. Campbell is much more athletic and made the offense much less predictable. As has been said, Tuberville had a good gameplan that forced Randall into situations that he didnt know how to get out of. Credit the Auburn staff. Oh well, they gave us an ass whuppin' in every sense of the word. The fans around me werent the most knowledgable, but were nice people and cheered for their tigers and not against ours (I was in Auburn territory). After finding out I was an LSU fan, an older gentleman (Auburn fan) I ran into on the way out told me that the season isnt over, and LSU is still in the best shape to win the west, and that he believes LSU will make it back to Atlanta.

After taking a nap after the game, Saturday night was more of the same from Friday. We made the drive back yesterday. Overall, the weekend was a good time. Every Auburn fan I talked to was very nice and gracious, even after the game. I really dont have anything bad to say about Auburn fans except that they booed when Campbell took a knee to end the game, but I dont think it was that big of a deal. I hate Tuberville a little less today than I did friday. My final realization is that we dont win away games I attend. I dont think Im going to travel anymore. I have only been to 7 or 8 away games, but we have lost every single one. Oh well, on to Kentucky.

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Ryan

Glad you had a good time in Auburn. Tigris and Bourbon Street are both bars in our "downtown" area.

Mobile to Auburn can be summed up with one word . . trees

lots of friggin' trees. Did you see any of the classic bumper stickers that read "Earth First, we'll log the other planets later?"

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

No, I didnt notice any of those. Where are they in high concentration? I dont live that far from Auburn.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

I've seen . .

them a few times in some of the truck stops (Evergreen, etc.) when driving from Auburn to New Orleans during my college years . . I just think they are hilarious. .

when responding, I wasn't even consiering that you lived in Mobile . .duh:p :confused:

5. joetiger

joetiger Founding Member

That is funny.

Saw one a few weeks ago along the same lines that said,

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste so good."