Back from LA: NCAA 2205 and USC crap follows

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by StarscreamLSU, May 19, 2004.

1. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

Just got in from my trip to LA. I wore my National Champs hat all over the place, including the USC campus.

I got a great picture of me in my LSU NC stuff standing next to a sign near campus that said "Congrats USC. 2003 National Football Champs." Didn't get to see the paperweight though since I didn't have time to search the campus. We were just there becuase Microsoft was holding their pre-E3 press briefing there.

For the most part, no one cared, but I did get a few dirty looks -- which was fun.

I checked the NCAA 2005 thread, looks like most of the news got out in there. The college atmosphere is in full effect -- right down to your guys missing audibles becuase it's too loud. Then, of course, there's the Create-a-Sign deal that is pretty neat. There's also some TV style scenes that show fans cheering. I didn't get to see many of them since the guy I was playing with kept skiping them. I watched other people play and saw the Gator Chomp.

Gameplay is slick as silk -- and played better than Madden in my opinion. One of the coolest things was when I picked to play a 'Quick Match' and it pitted USC and LSU against each other in Tiger Stadium. Woot!

Randall and Vincent were starters, but I switched Russell in. Pointed out that he should be taller and the guy told me that player rosters/skills/looks are cosmetic and the last things that are worked on.

I asked about putting the yard marks every 5 yards and was told that they have been told that, but it's an issue with the way the game generates the stadiums. Changing the grass from green to blue is easy since they just key in a code, but they'd have to make a whole new fieldset. He said he'd look into it though.

Not sure about what music is in the game becuase I couldn't hear it. The show floor is loud and it's impossible to hear anything. Was told some new cheers are added, so keep hope alive. Asked about the coustom soundtrack idea that's been brought up on the board and he said that it doesn't work that way with the current game engine (which is last year's Madden engine). Maybe in the next generation of systems, but don't hold your breath.

Also asked about a College Baseball game. Was told that they have been wanting to do it, but there's no market for it. Other than some places in California and the South, there's really no one who wants the game, which indicates that it wouldn't sell well enough to recoup development losses. This is also coupled with the fact that baseball games are already a hard sell. If college baseball can grow and becomes popular enough, they'll do it.

Hmm, think that's it.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Thanks for the intrepid reporting. Did you hear anything about Halo 2?

3. StarscreamLSU

Yeah. Got a chance to play the Multiplayer. Feels really nice. The release date is in November.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what's the deal with the games being developed 10 years ago and still not out? Halflife 2/Team Fortress 2

Duke Nukem Forever
    Doom 3

Halo was in development forever.

5. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Does NCAA 2005 have the "Play-Maker" Controls like Madden did last year?

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

NCAA does not have play-maker control and, as I understand it, never will. This is by design. I dont remember where I read it, but it was stated that collegiate players have less freedom to change the play than NFL players, and generally do what they are coached to do. The game is much faster in the NFL, and "play-makers" are easily recognizable because of their contributions on the field, be it from their own talented play, or organizing the efforts of their teammates.

7. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member

By any chance, did you get to play Gran Turismo 4? GT3 is probably my favorite PS2 game(slightly edging out the NCAA series) and I have been waiting for GT4 to come out for what seems like forever. Also, did you get to see any of the LSU players ratings? Thanks.

8. StarscreamLSU

Yeah. Played a lot of GT4. Take GT3 and amp everything up and that's GT4. Looks better, plays better, more cars....

I saw player ratings, but this is one of the last things to be implemented. Playmaker isn't in NCAA, nor is the new Madden game mechanic ("Hit Stick I think it's called).

Madden was just as good as always, but the injury thing was turned up all the way for some reason. I played a half with the Pats and a half with the Saints. Had at least 4 players hurt each time.

One of the neater (or unusual) things in Madden, that I didn't get to fully experience, is that you have to stroke some players egos when playing. They'll email you in-game and bitch about not getting the ball enough or other BS.

9. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

Thanks starscream... that info was great

I cant wait for NCAA football and HALO 2!!!

10. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member