Back to the Golden Age -- Or:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't much care for Matt Moscona. His know-it-all attitude is too much to take sometimes but yesterday he was spot on with his take on the new hire. LSU needs to choose who they want and go get him. Don't take no
    for an answer. Bring a blank check and camp out on his lawn if need be.

As I see it there are only 2 A+ choices. Neither Nick Saban nor Urban Meyer are coming to Tigerland, so forget about them. Unless I'm greatly mistaken LSU is not going to even consider Art Briles or Bobby Petrino.

That leaves Tom Herman and Jimbo Fisher. Just about everybody here, myself included has a man crush on Herman. He is 41, the perfect age to be HC here for the next 10 to 15 years,. As OC at THE Ohio State University he utilized 3 different quarterbacks with different skills over the course of 3 games to win the National Championship. In the sem--final game he changed the offense DURING THE GAME when J.T. Barrett was injured to fit the skills of the inexperienced Cardale Jones.

BUT, Herman has only been a head coach at a mid-major for a total of 17 games, As impressive as Houston has been for those 17 games we aren't 100% sure that Herman is the real deal or a flash in the pan getting his career off to a hot start. And we don't know whether he has any aspirations to coach on Sundays or not.

Jimbo Fisher, on the other hand has won a national championship and coached 4 quarterbacks to become first round NFL pics, He is familiar with LSU and would step right in and boost the Tigers out of the stone age that Les "Fred Flinstone" Miles has allowed the team to fall into.

Still, if it was me making the choice I would pick Herman. Maybe a bit more of a gamble but a gamble I think would pay off for years to come.

I would be happy with either choice. If they hire a Fedora, Gundy, Whittingham, etc. then both Aleva and FKing should be tarred and feathered and and run out of town. It ain't time to hold 'em and it ain't time to fold em, It's time to go all in.

2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I posted in another thread the question has any team won national championships with 3 successive coaches. I have searched but could not find any. With that in mind why not take the gamble on Herman?

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

What about Miami. Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, and Dennis .Erickson.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I pointed that out in a different thread

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Then we both deserve a set of steak knives. Let's check with Shane? :)

HalloweenRun and shane0911 like this.
  6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

We're those successive?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes and then Butch Davis went to the Browns before winning one and
    Larry Coker won with the talent left.
    Erickson won 2

8. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Ok cool, I thought there was one in between that didn't

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

both are cerebral guys, great football minds. Id take either. Jimbo is kinda like marrying your old HS sweetheart thats not near as hot so I get the reluctance from the fanbase. I also see hes remnants from the 2 prior regimes and most want some new blood.

Herman is the hot young college coed you just met and all the unknown is more exciting than the known. much higher risk but may pay off.

lsu-i-like and GregLSU like this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Glengarry Glen Ross says fight over it. Winner gets the steak knives loser is fired.