Bama afraid of Murray?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by VampMuse, Dec 1, 2012.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Thank you sir.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

And there's the key point of why it was within the rules. If he's running towards the ball carrier he's obviously in the play.

Am I supposed to take some sort of offense here?

3. tirk

You mean, damn, you were wrong again. Like I said.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's a rule question, chief. Got nuthin' to do with a team. LSU could end up on either side of this in the future.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Thank you. Now we can discuss the rule. And this is the slippery slope I was talking about. "Obviously" is subject to much interpretation. The Bama QB turned and was headed towards the play. Quarterbacks have many times made saving tackles on interceptions and have to be considered a full-fledged player until the whistle is blown.

I can see unnecessary roughness on this particular play, but I'd hate to see quarterbacks protected when they are not standing in the pocket. It's a rough game and if a quarterback or a kicker doesn't want to be hit he should get off the field. I hate the pussification of a contact sport like football . . . fully realizing that a line must be drawn somewhere to prevent needless injury. There just seems to be a lot of gray area here.

6. tirk

The rule doesn't have to be written. Actually I'm surprised it was. But it's called automatically In the above situation. Bama gets a lot of refs who overlook the usual calls. Nothing new. That's the entire point. That is always a flag in today's game and will continue to be for much less.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Red, Eric Reid was called for unnecessary roughness against (who was it?) Mississippi State, I think? Loston intercepted, Reid hit the QB (much less agressively), we were flagged 15 yards. The interception actually hurt us badly on field position after the penalty.

I also hate the pussification of football; it's a tough contact sport, and there is a reason that it's such a shorter season than other sports and can only be played once a week.

With that said, I still contend that the Bama player led with and hit with his helmet against Murray's helmet. UGA had just been called for unnecessary roughness against McCarron minutes before this call was missed.

And for the record, two of the pass interference penalties on UGA looked to be called on uncatchable balls.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I wish I had the video of Jalen Mills penalty on Bo Wallace.

You know what I was thinking though, has nothing to do with the penalty. Is it a coincidence that Alabama, who had the easiest SEC schedule made it to Atlanta, to play Georgia, who had the 2nd easiest SEC schedule. Alabama didn't play Georgia, South Carolina, or Florida, the East powerhouses, and Georgia didn't play LSU, Alabama, or Texas A&M, the West's powers.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Exactly how I see this.

Certainly hit with unnecessary force. But, well within the rules.

It's like a lot of PI calls. It depends on which side you're on if you think it should have been flagged or don't. Some leave no interpretation and are just missed.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It's called luck of the draw.

If LSU had drawn the schedule we did the Tigers would be in Miami.