Bama game, most important game of the last 3 seasons?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Is it safe to say that LSU kind of just packed it in after the Bama game in the last 2 seasons? Or if not, maybe that the LSU just left everything out on the field in those 2 games? Either way, LSU has crumbled in the last 2 years after 2 valiant efforts against undefeated Alabama teams. 08 was an overtime loss that was heartbreaking, probably played the best game of the year in that contest. 09, was a hose job, and Jefferson was playing the best game of his career before he was taken out with the spear.

I guess what I am getting at, is if we lose this game, will this team just roll over against Ole Miss, and Arkansas? I know in 09 we beat Arkansas, but it was alot closer than it should have been in my opinion.

Other than last week vs. Auburn, is this the most important game LSU has played since the BCSNCG vs. Ohio State?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No.

About half the fans will roll over and bitch. But the team is doing this because they like to play football and win.

3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

other than modify that to 3/4 of the fans i agree with this

4. LaSalleAve

they sure as hell did in 08, and did against Ole Miss in 09, damn near did it against Arkansas in 09. There is precedent.

5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I think if we can find a way to put a few points on the board we can win and keep rolling. If the offense of late shows up, I think we get embarrassed at home and slide down the slope we have seen the last two years.

So yea I think it just might be the most important for the immediate future of our season.

I hope I'm wrong.....about the losing part.:geaux:

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah I would agree it is.

You have a chance at a special season with a win (LSU will be ranked #5 in the BCS at a minimum), or potentially a 3rd straight disappointing 4+ loss season if you lose.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nonsense. '08 and '09 are not precedents for this. The '09 team finished third in the SEC behind the national champion and another top-10 team which was no disgrace. These teams had late losses but they were winning teams and there was no evidence that the teams had rolled over and given up.

I've seen a team give up on a coach exactly twice in the last 35 years. And it's never for a coach of a winning team. Jerry Stoval's last class (4-7) gave up the last two games. It was obvious and led to Stoval's firing. And Dinardo's last class (3-8) gave up on him when they were 2-6, getting Dinardo fired before the season's end. The team rallied and won the finale for interim head coach Hal Hunter.

There is no way that an 8-win team with the potential for 9 or 10 wins is going to "roll over" and give up.

8. LaSalleAve

sorry man, but i have to disagree with you. In 08, LSU played it's worst game I have seen since when Shaun Alexander came to Baton Rouge and ran for a couple of miles. That was the Ole Miss game. Then, against Arkansas, we were kicking balls, late hitting, unsportsmanlike conduct, and all kinds of penalties and let Casey Dick beat us. Casey Dick.

Maybe I should have worded it a little differently, but there has been a trend for this team to fold after we play Bama. Our record in the last 2 years after the Alabama game is 4-4 with the 4 wins being against Troy and Georgia Tech (chick fil a) and La Tech and Arkansas (OT)

2 losses against Ole Miss, 1 against Arkansas, and 1 against Penn State.

So do you think LSU got beat by the better teams in 08, and in 09? That they went in there and played their hearts out, just to come up short? Hell the 2 wins against Troy and La Tech, LSU was sleepwalking through those games.

9. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Agree! And FWIW, I think Bama will be a better match for us in contrast to Auburn... and I'm sure the players see it this way as well.

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

And this is why I just don't see us losing to Bama this yr. Which will set the tone for a run through the rest of the season.