Bama having a hell of a time....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Goodlifetiger, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

finding that new coach that really loves bama and wants the job more than anything in life.

I still think they will get Dubose back. Anyone else have any ideas who might want that job in hell.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Dinardo, Mumme, Toledo, etc...How about Schnellenberger (sp?)? Is he still alive?
    Looks like Riley's job if he wants it, though I can't imagine going into it with the limits placed on the program for the next few years. What do you want to bet Stallings comes out of retirement to hold down the fort until they can recruit again?

3. Tuwho?

Tuwho? Banned Forever

Riley turned down Alabama today for the job and is expected to be announced the new UCLA head coach on Tuesday.

Plus the recruiting dead period starts on December 21st and last for what 3 weeks of no contact with potential recruits? No one in their right mind is going to want to take that job now--its bad enough they are on probation but add a year in with absolutely no recruiting time and whoever takes over Bama is in deep doo doo.

4. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

i Live in Mobile and these people are about to cry....if mal Moore doesn't hire a "family Member" they scream......... he has a hard job finding a coach that want's the job while the NCAA looks over the program again and one that's a ex Bama player or a Bear bryant disciple

5. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

xlnsports

It sure is funny to listen to the Bama fans whinning everyday. I live in Mobile also and find it kinda comical listening to what some of the callers have to say. Especially when they throw out some of the names that they do. Its got to be depressing for some because they can't even find a coach to show interest in the once "prestigious" position of all positions.

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Is this their demise?

Think about it, this should be a very coveted job. Ok, they're on probation, so what. That gives a new guy some longevity to get through the probation.

IMO, these candidates are going in and saying "OK, What's the deal with the NCAA?" and Moore is having to tell them that "They're Back". And they all know that just 8 months ago the NCAA mentioned those words "Death Penalty" and figure, hell regardless of what I do coaching wise I might not have a job b/c their won't be one. I still can't phathom the fact "Ala and Death Penalty"...and I don't think it would happen.

But, Coach Fran ran to aTm....nothing against the Aggies but I see that as a step down.....and I don't care what kind of facilities they have....Slocum had them too. Unless he REALLY wanted to get back to Tex I think he wasn't told the whole story and once he learned how bad it was and how bad it could become (Lang spilling his guts) he said I got to get the hell out of here. Regardless, I still think Fran is a dick.....so don't get that wrong.

Is this the end of the Bama Nation???:eek: :eek: :D :D :eek: :eek:

7. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I would be willing to bet that every single possible candidate that Bama looks at will be giving a certain Coach Franphony a call.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I won't for a minute deny the fact there are some impatient Bama fans out there. Heck, go to just about any Bama site and you will see them in droves. Sad to say, there is a group that have very little memory recall as to how coaching searches are conducted and what kind of time lines these searches take.

There have been a few interviews, yes. But the job has only been offered "officially" to Riley.

A quick time line....

Thursday, the 5th, Frank Beamer contacted Mal Moore (along with about 20+ other coaches) about the position. After mulling the situation over he called Moore Saturday and said it was too late in his career to think about leaving his alma mater and moving on to another school.

The following Monday Coach Moore contacted Leavitt (South Florida) and Riley and interviewed both Tuesday. Weds the job was offered to Riley who had previously said if offered he would accept the position. He asked to be given some time to talk with family, etc. and think if over. He was given some time and when CMM contacted him Friday he asked for more time. Coach Moore said, "No." So, we are moving on.

To think this is the end of Bamanation is laughable. Heck, even DuBose had a ten win season! Coach Moore is moving at his own pace, talking to candidates that have voiced interest and making sure the selection is "the right fit" for Alabama.

If, for even a moment, you think other coaches around the NCAA are calling Fran for advice you are sadly...no grossly mistaken. He has lost his credibility among his peers just as he's lost it in the media circles.

9. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

bama..advertising coach position

times must be getting tough...i'm thinking about applying.......

10. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Terry..

I don't think Francis has lost all credibility. I don't like the man for the way he behaved after the bama win. But he must have credibility with alot of people. Anyone wanting the coaching job at bama would want to here what he had to say. I don't believe he would tell them anything bad about the bama program. I just believe he wanted away from it. Got his chance and left. But I do believe that the bama fans or just arrogant enough to think the whole world would believe as they do.