Bama turns down Parcells

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I really dont believe this. Bama fans are claiming supurrier is interested.

If it is true. I dont blame them, they dont need another 2 year coach. They need someone long term.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Cannot be true. Parcells vs Riley and the pick was Riley. He was not that good at Oregan State or at San Diego.

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

But, Riley was a "Bear boy." Regardless, until "Mort" reports it on ESPN or ESPN.com, I won't believe anything. Mort knows all!!!

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The guy who wrote this...

Kevin Scarbinsky, has other agenda's besides what's best for Alabama. Personally, I find the thought of Parcells wanting to enter the college ranks laughable. It's one of those articles meant to undermine Coach Moore. That, is a trait Scarbinsky is known for.

Spurrior is laughable. This search will have a lot guessing because Coach Moore will keep this as close to the vest as he did last time.

I hear different names from different people I talk to in and around our program. There are a few names that continue to come up.

Bottom line, Coach Moore will review several candidates, unofficially see if there is a mutual interest and move forward at that point. As a Bama fan, that's exactly how I want it to happen.

6. Skrayper

Skrayper Founding Member

It seems Leavitt, not Riley, is the #1 choice.
    Riley seems UCLA bound.

Some radio sources say Leavitt's already hired. (Of course, this is from a show called 'Rick and Bubba', so you draw your own conclusions.)

7. NashvilleTiger

NashvilleTiger Freshman

Parcells reaction

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't believe this. Alabama has made it known that they are more preoccupied with drudging up some semblance of the past, i. e. someone who has been close enough to the Bear to inhale his carbon dioxide than they are with getting the best available.
    I think if Parcells was interested in taking the job, they would be getting possibly the best coach alive....a real ballbreaker. He would probably be around just long enough to carry them through their heavier sanctions. I think the best way to get top flight atheletes at any school that is on probation is to have a seasoned, well respected NFL coach at the helm who can teach the young men what it takes to be a pro and make it to "the league". That is how Bama could have a team well-stocked as soon as their sanctions are over.
    If this report is true, Bama f@(%ed up!

8. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Hey, Nash.....

nobody here ever said bama was very smart. What the heck they gonna do when all the "bear boys" are gone? I wonder if they will still be able to play footbal!?!?

9. bamabownuntr

bamabownuntr Freshman

i can't believe you guys are buying this

oh, and by the way, Bill Walsh interviewed this morning as well.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Re: Parcells reaction

You don't see any reason not to believe this because you don't read Scarbinsky as much as we Bama fans do.

I understand where your thought process lies, but it's off base as far as what's good for the program at this time. Here you have a man with at least 4 seperate situations of heart trouble, a man whose wife says she wants him out of the business, a man who says he doesn't like the recruiting trail, a man who says he doesn't care for booster functions......the list goes on.

He does have a good NFL resume'. But, he has only coached in the college ranks for one year which eliminates him from our criteria.

It's true his agent called the Athletic Department. For what, no one knows. My gut instinct says it wasn't about him, but someone else interested.

Closing, after the song and dance he gave Tampa Bay a few years ago, how could that be a good move for any program? It's messages like this that reinforce my opinion that I'm glad the normal football fan has nothing to do with our coaching search.

Thanks for your interest!