Bammer officially investigating agent contact

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Deceks7, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

So basically, this dude & his cheap hit were the only reasons that bama was able to stay in NC the game. Got it.

Karma's a motherf*cker. I bet Colt is laughing his ass off.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

What kind of person would leave their dying mother to go party far away from home? :dis:

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

You have got to be freaking kidding me. That whole story sounds so far fetched it beats the ole "my dog ate my homework" excuse. There is way more to this story and one of the rats on this sinking ship is going to start yapping. I just hope nobody from LSU was there. Couple gumps at work insinuated we had an attendee but I have yet to see anything mentioned in the press.

5. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

BHelm is right. They can indeed have jobs, this I know for a fact. But there are certain NCAA rules regarding how they're paid, etc.

6. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

I would hate to know that I was responsible for keeping agents or people on the payroll of agents away from my star players. There just is no way to accomplish this consistently. So I gotta agree with some of Saban's points despite whatever motives he has.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

zactly. and it is the cheating that brought on all these rules. otherwise we would have guys working at a car dealership and getting paid, but not even showing up. oh, wait....

but seriously, it is unfortunate we hyave to have all these rules but they are there to try to keep a lid on shenanigans such shenanigans.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

The story isn't new, the problem isn't new, the aggressiveness of these agents that just don't know how to go around the system as has been done for years is why it is becoming such an issue that can't be ignored. Direct contact and directly putting the perks in the athletes hands and wallet is most definitely not the way to do it, because they are getting caught, as it should be. These types of perks, financial or material, have been going on forever. Agents were just smarter about how they did it in the past. Now with all the technology available keeping stuff like this under the carpet and in back rooms is almost impossible.

I think it is about time that the NCAA do something about it. Either make it so that these agents can't have contact with these kids at all, or actually pay these kids some sort of stipend. I mean many of these kids come from poor or challenged financial backgrounds, which makes it hard for them, regardless of if they know what is at stake or not, to say no to someone standing there with a check for 100k. Some of these kids, even though they know what is at stake, due to their background are willing to compromise their possible future for what could help their families right here and right now. With the money these kids make for some of the big programs like LSU, UGA, UF, USC, UT, etc they deserve to be paid. The problem with this is it couldn't be done in an equitable way, in that some universities couldn't afford to pay the athletes, so that being the case it really can't be done. In order to make things fair across the board the same would have to be afforded all college athletes.

Which leads back to KEEP THE F"NG AGENTS OUT OF OUR BACK YARD. They can wait and have the same competitive edge to try and sign college prospects based on when and where they might go in the draft. Leave em alone until they are done with college. I know it is almost impossible, but something has to be done. I truly hope for all the schools that are being looked at by the NCAA for these possible transgressions that nothing comes of it for them. If the athletes are isolated cases at each university, punish them accordingly. Right now it is a big focus on the SEC and we can't afford to have that many schools get their wrists slapped or even worse. Also, believing in karma, I said it before that I pray it isn't happening in our own back yard. If it is, I hope it is isolated as in some of these other cases and Coach Miles and the athletic dept are proactive in outing whoever might be a possible offender.

9. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

The NCAA can't do anything more. They can only regulate entities that surrender to their authority - schools. Agents don't answer to schools. Just to themselves and possibly to the NFL. Until the owners really start to give a crap about it, it probably won't stop. And the punishments/restrictions will come down on the schools and players.

But losing millions(for the school or player) should be inducement enough to be diligent in staying away from agents. And players do get paid. They get a free phucking ride for a college education. That is worth quite a bit of money. It sucks that restrictions are as tough as they are for outside employment but it is too easy to corrupt the system and pay big $ to your players. Boosters/schools simply cannot be trusted, so they have to cut as much of it out as possible.

And with the amount/ease of sports betting today, do you really want college players getting paid?

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

There was a guy from the NFLPA on last night I think it was and he was all for coming down hard on them (agents) for getting involved with college players and hurting their careers. Dude sounded serious, I just hope he sticks to his guns.