Band debates playing touchdown song at games

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Sep 25, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Perhaps they should suspend the band for a game or two and let a DJ control the songs.

Nah...scratch that. I'm guessing the students would actually rather hear Crank Dat Soulja Boy anyway.

2. drummer5485

drummer5485 Founding Member

Wow...I mean are you...are you serious? (And Crank Dat Soulja Boy is crap...though it is fun to dance too...)

3. Geaux Girl

Geaux Girl Founding Member

They bleep out cuss words on tv. How about if the band comes up with a loud sound that drowns them out? The students can be told if the band has to do that more than x number of times there will be consequences. Then come up with some consequence that won't start a riot.
    We should brainstorm realistic consequences that would get them to clean it up but not squelch the spirit of the student section. Easier said than done, but I am sure that some list could be generated. For example,
    1. Student ticket prices for the next game increased by five bucks per band "bleep"?
    2. Student section seats limited by certain amount of seats per band "bleep"?
    I guess its the school teacher coming out of me, but I think if the problem is stated, the consequence for the behavior is stated and then acted upon, they would police themselves rather than take on said cosequences.
    Noone wants to squelch the spirit of the student section , but nor do we want to have trashy, filthy language en masse representing our university. Clean it up or pay the consequences.:nope:

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

This type of stuff doe snot get bleeped out on live tv broadcasts.

Anyway, martin gave the best suggestion thus far. A taped speech with Miles and/or players would likely do the trick.

5. LSUgirlinTx

LSUgirlinTx Is it game time yet?

I like that idea.

I also think it would be great to have a bunch of alums write into the Reville or Skip and tell them how we would hate to see the traditions disappear.

Yes, it's so intimidating to hear the f word. :dis:
    How about you're intimidating because it's LOUD? You cant be loud without dropping a Fbomb?

6. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

I think that every time the student section gets a little crude, the band should play a polka. Or, say, a little old school Barry Manilow or John Denver. If the student section gets really crude, then it's time to break out the the Captain and Tennille.

1 person likes this.
  7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

This FU Spurrier issue was exaggerated by the half empty stadium due to the weather. If the stadium is full like it normally is, then I doubt the students are even heard on national TV. And if they weren't, are we even having this discussion?

If normal crowd noise is not enough, someone suggested that the band start playing to drown them out when something like this happens. It may not be the perfect solution, but it's better than changing our traditions.

8. Geaux Girl

Geaux Girl Founding Member

most effective thing would be a tape les or trindon or somebody and put em on jumbotron before the game thanking the students for their energy and asking very very nicely to respect children and stuff.[/quote]

That is the best idea I have heard, and coupled with my "Band Bleep" consequences, we would have it licked. I also would love to see the players on the jumbotron too. You tell 'em Trindon! Well said, Dorsey!
    Herman Johnson could say, "Don't make me come up there!" It could be fun and hopefully effective.:wink:

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

yo man that is doe snot.

i am glad you are with me.

10. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

Actually, back when I was at LSU, the students were heard on tv during the touchdown song, and the stadium was full. It caused a minor controversy.

In any case, I don't care if it can be heard on TV, I wish the students would display a little more creativity and class.