Band debates playing touchdown song at games

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Sep 25, 2007.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i think that the best way to address it has already been mentioned. Miles and the players need to step in and say this how we want you to - and to NOT - cheer at a game.

i don't suggest it, but a way in future years is to break up the student section into smaller sections where they can't get coordinated. but, unfortunatlely, that keeps them from getting coordinated on the things that are tradition and are not offensive.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Isn't that what this thread is trying to do?

I call "Doe Snot"!

3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

If the students start in on a raunchy chant, just have the band switch songs and aim their instruments at the student section to drown them out. :D

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

If it gets taken away, some students think so highly of themselves that they will be able to do it anyway.... It doesn't work like that.

Remember Tiger Rag? Last year groups tried to still chant *******s and it sort of worked... for a few games. There is no sign of it anymore, after one year.

I am all about "punishment" when things get taken too far. Hell, I'd say take away the first down cheer next time something goes overboard. It will get EVERY fan talking about it, and things will change.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I am too, but not at the cost of tradition. That just punishes everyone instead of the troublemakers.

6. ibldprplgld

ibldprplgld Founding Member

As a senior at LSU, this fall is my fourth in TS student section. After seeing firsthand the cheers being bellowed through the student section, I can tell you it is not all of the students. I would assume, based on how they compose themselves during the entire game, those who participate in the foul chants, are mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. Where I sit is a niche of Senior/Juniors and those chants were NOT participated in.

That being said, I say suspend the Freshmen/Sophomores for a game and see how long it takes them to shape up. I know the upperclassmen are pissed because these are chants we have come to love and are now in jeopardy. If given the choice, I would take a much smaller, more classy student section with the chants intact (not vulgar) vs the huge student section with no chants at all.

Students (especially the younger ones) need to understand, being allowed to attend a football game is NOT a right, its a privilege.

I hope for the Florida game we are LOUDER THAN EVER FOR OUR LSU TEAM rather than degrade Florida, hopefully some of this damage can be repaired.

1 person likes this.
  7. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

It's been a while since I was a student at LSU. While I was a student the Greeks were the most organized element in the student section. They always got there early, got drunk the most, yelled the loudest, etc. Is it possible that the Student Body President could take this on as a project to clean up the language with the Greeks serving as examples of proper game etiquette?

It seems in a perfect world this could work best. You know, like our government is suppose to do for it's citizens, lead by example.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

:thumb: I hope you aren't in the minority in the upper classes.

9. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

So what happens to the vulgar drunk freshmen and sophomores after two years at LSU. Do they mature and change or flunk out by their Junior year?

10. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

I have a sidebar question. Do pot heads still sit at the top of the student section on the last row and smoke pot during the games? I can't imagine them getting belligerent or loud.