Barrington Edwards Chooses UNC Chapel Hill

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Aug 10, 2004.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

On Sports Monday, Saban said it was in the best interest of Edwards and LSU that he transfer ... a mutual decision. Saban didn't elaborate why.

2. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

Maybe Saban pulled a spurrier....you can only transfer to a non SEC school. Spurrier did that with Brock Berlin.

If so...good call Saban! :thumb:

3. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

I'd just have to guess that BE wasn't real happy with his position on the depth chart and wasn't dealing with those negative feelings well. Understandable, esp from a 19-year old.

flabengal: The funny thing about people bashing BE or anyone else for "thinking selfishly" instead of "in the best interest of the team" is that quite often, the basher is the one thinking selfishly by bashing. The motivation to want to hoard all the best kids for themselves, regardless of the kid's best interests in the long run, is as selfish as it gets.

That's how I always feel when I first read about a kid no longer on the team.. My first thought is usually one of indignation. HOW DARE he increase our odds of losing a game by leaving? He needs to put my (i mean, the team's) interests first dammit! :D

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Barrington Edwards bashers are A-holes ... pure and simple ... and I'll back those words up right in your face ... anytime, anyplace!

His transfer is LSU's loss ... 2 RB injuries this year ... not out of the realm of possibility ... and LSU is screaming to have him back

But hey ... when you're loaded with talent at RB ... just won a NC ... people get really friggin ... FAT ... DUMB ... HAPPY

BUT ESPECIALLY DUMB!

Barrington Edwards wears a NC ring ... and contributed in the Championship game with some great hits and tackles on special teams ... Period.

Barrington Edwards will play Sundays as a RB ... mark it down

Good luck to Barrington Edwards ... 1 National Championship under his belt

5. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

Not to put any stink on the kid, because I wish him well, too...but hopefully, it's the only NC he ever sees.

6. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Talent wise, Barrington was the most gifted RB on the LSU team. He will play at UNC, no doubt.

I agree with Ramah, Barrington will play on Sundays.

Look for some big news to come out in a couple days on one of our current players.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Last week Nick said, "[Edwards] had some university problems, or we would have brought him back."

Now, LSU can't really comment on a players grades or academic status, but it sounds to me like:

1. Edwards spot on the depth chart may not have been the issue. After all, Justin Vincent started last year #5 on the depth chart and ended up with over 1,000 yards.

2. Nick perhaps could have kept him. There is always attrition due to ego's and grades, but Nick has the depth to be picky. LSU just had room for all 85 scholarship holders and needed a few transfers and grayshirts to get there. It's just a bad year to get on Nicks "expendable" list.

It's probably good for Edwards to transfer before he got on academic probabtion or something. I hope he makes grades and we can see him play at UNC next year

8. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

yea - ok

Most gifted rb (talent wise);

Ok that's why Barringnton was behind Justin, Alley, Shyrone, and Joseph.

He was behind those guys because he was the most gifted?????? Come on now.

9. Big Earl

Big Earl Founding Member

good for him, I can't blame the kid for wanting plating time. I almost think the same thing about R. Lane, but at least Edwards came here tried his best (which was very good) and decided he wanted to see the field more. I don't think it's a nock on Edwards b/c we have the most talented and deep backfield in America, hands down. Robert Lane on the other hand was too much of a pussy cat to even try and decided not to even give an effort. He won't even see the field this year at OLD PISS.

I say go get 'em to Edwards, go to hell R.Lane.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Well said. That pretty well sums up the way I feel about it, too. Edwards contributed everything he could last year, but you cant ignore the fact that one of the most exciting backs in the league is not only on your same team, but also your same class (SO).