Barry Switzer mentions LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DallasLSU, Jul 5, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

No, by my definition a great football mind is basically just the x's & o's.

This is a part of being a great coach, not having a great football mind.

I don't mean to say that Miles isn't involved at all, just that he isn't near as involved as Saban was. IMO, Miles is more about putting in opinions & open discussions with the coordinators, where as Saban was more controlling.

You may not know my stance on Miles - I think he's a great coach and will be more successful than Saban. I'm not knocking him. I in fact much prefer his coaching style.

I think Saban had many flaws and Miles is a more well rounded coach.

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Fair enough, just trying to think of a great football mind who was a lousy coach.... still working on it. Any suggestions?

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I'd say Jim Haslett. There is no question the guy was tough and knew defenses...But he was horrible at Team Management and at keeping his team on the same page...

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Judgemental people like yourself, guys who like to and do form opinions way before the evidence is in, will skew every fact to your way of thinking, and show only a part of the equation instead of daring to give all of the facts so that you can try and skew the picture.

You have to go back to the 1920's to find a coach who was as successful at OSU as Miles was. And if you scoff at what he did at OSU and give that as the main reason for thinking he should not have been hired, then you must have really thought that Miami made a huge mistake when they hired Jimmy Johnson as his record as the Cowboy headman was inferior to what Les accomplished. And I also have to believe that you thought Emmert hiring Saban was a huge mistake as well.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Basically any NFL coordinator who had great success at that coordinator position but failed as an HC.

Ray Rhodes

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Exactly.

7. cajdav1

No, by my definition a great football mind is basically just the x's & o's.

This is a part of being a great coach, not having a great football mind.

That is what I said in my post, that you believe a great football is all about just x's and o's. And I completely disagree with you on this. A great football mind encompasses much more than just x's and o's, especially when it is just in one area. .

I don't mean to say that Miles isn't involved at all, just that he isn't near as involved as Saban was. IMO, Miles is more about putting in opinions & open discussions with the coordinators, where as Saban was more controlling.

I'd say Miles is more involved in those things than Saban was. Nick put so much effort into the corners and overall defense that he has little time to get involved in everything else on the practice field and in the gameplanning.And I'm not knocking him, it was his style and it worked great, except in 2002

You may not know my stance on Miles - I think he's a great coach and will be more successful than Saban. I'm not knocking him. I in fact much prefer his coaching style.

I think Saban had many flaws and Miles is a more well rounded coach.

I know you aren't arguing that point and like Miles, I'm just disagreeing with you on the football mind statement. i just believe there is much more to a great football mind than just x's and o's, especially when it is only in one part of the game. I think a guy who is a great defensive or offensive guy should be labeled a defensive or offensive genius or guru. To me football encompasses the entire game and program.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Okay, got one... Dan Henning.
    .... better to have the great coach tag, much better!

9. cajdav1

Sid Gillman? Although he did have some good years with San Diego I think. He was the father of the modern passing game according to many.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great football mind is about x's & o's. Not great football. And whether you agree with it or not, I was specifying my definition to clarify my position.

When I say not as involved, I mean not as controlling (sorry, bad wording I guess). Yes, he is involved in every aspect - probably more than Saban in some aspects, especially offense. However, he isn't near as domineering.

What you are describing is whether a person is a great coach. Great coach & great football mind are not the same. The fact that x's & o's is only one part of the game is exactly why being a great football mind doesn't make a person a great coach.