Baseball is dumb.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex, May 25, 2003.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

It takes more than one game to determine the better team, so it's rather dumb to have a tournament championship decided on one game.

Every baseball game is really two separate games going on out there... our batters vs. your pitchers, then our pitchers vs. your batters. The two separate games are only remotely related to each other.

I would trade 20 LSU national baseball championships for a single one in football

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats the nature of baseball, the only sport where the defense has the ball. We have one National Championsip in football and 5 in baseball. I don't want to wait until we have another 15 in baseball before we get another one in football. I wouldn't mind seeing LSU get one in basketball either. The team that had Shaq, Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson should have gotten one

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

A double elimination toruny is about as fair as we are going to get in the NCAA. It allows you some room in case you stink it up in one game you still have a chance to get it back together. Playing 3 or 5 game series would take way too long.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

BASEBALL

A great sport so is football , basketball but baseball I like it football like basketball is now trying to go year round . There were some Bama fans in thei chat room giving LSU down the road called out team a loser and us the fans a lot of cry babies http://groups.msn.com/TheSportsandGardenCorner/chat.msnw#

5. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

NCAA Baseball has the fairest post-season process there is. Bowl games are flawed because it hurts teams with early injuries and people who don't play the game have an impact on who wins it all. Tournament is flawed in basketball because if a team catches fire from behind the arc for 2 hours, you're screwed.

Baseball is the only one that really gets to a true champion. The region, super regional, final 8 double elimination tourney is the best formula for determing a champion. Every sport should use it. Unfortunately, there's not enough time and that's understandable.

6. BayouBengal

It would be doable in basketball I believe.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't see how they could do it in basketball. 64 teams playing the best 2 ot of 3 is a possible 96 games just in the first round, 48 in the second round, 24 in the third round and 12 in the fourth round just to get to the final 4 teams. Does anybody really want to see a #1 Duke or Kentucky blow out a 16th seeded IUPUI or Western Vermont twice? On the other hand maybe LSU would have bounced back and beaten Purdue the next 2 games to advance to the next round.

8. BayouBengal

Well I meant do the basektball playoffs similar to the baseball playoffs. Have 16 4 team regionals. Then a 3 game series super regional, and then the big tourny is the Final 8 instead of Final 4.

9. Hub

Hub Founding Member

The CWS is enhanced even better this year. Best 2 out of 3 for the NC. Great move. I would congratulate the NCAA but I would bet it was ESPN that did that since they have exclusive rights now.

10. BayouBengal

The championship game sucked when it was on CBS. Even though the one game championship game has worked to LSU's favor in the past, I dont beleive it is completly fair.