Baseball rankings 3/22

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Mar 22, 2010.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

OK, now i'm starting to fume a bit. BBA has LSU steady at 7th while, get this, florida moves from #6 to #2 for sweeping mississippi state! for the record, state is having a lousy season thus far at 11-9 (though their record looks better than the way they've been playing.) i won't say that the gators struggled to beat state, but the scores were:

friday - 7-2
    saturday - 5-4
    sunday - 4-1

impressive, no?

well, it gets worse! LSU dropped from 4 to 3 in collegiate baseball's poll!!! really!? after winning 2/3 against a very, very good arkansas team without our ace!? OK, whatever...

so, does it even really matter? not really, but they've been equally terrible to texass too.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

We lost 2 of 3 to Kansas. That's all they see. Forget everything else. It's easy to be on LSU's baseball bandwagon. These guys are trying to be different.

LSU hasn't come close to hitting their stride yet. We'll do our talking in Omaha.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

they're trying to be different alright! but honestly, i can see ASU at numero uno, they're going to be in omaha... but i'm not really sold on florida so far. we'll see.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I would have UCLA #1, ASU #2, LSU #3 and Virginia #4.

UCLA opponents' record is 126-91. They swept #28 Stanford (record 10-4) and beat #16 Oklahoma (18-2).

ASU opp. record is 83-91 and have played only 1 ranked team beating #15 Oregon State (14-3) in a single game. They did sweep Auburn at home. I give them #2 because they are undefeated.

LSU opp. record is 81-72. They won the series vs. #14 Arkansas (13-5). I put them #3 because their ace is out and they are the defending National Champions.

Virginia opponents' record is 84-80. They won 2/3 at then ranked ECU (11-8) and beat #4 FSU (15-4) 2 out of 3.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

ucla is starting to prove themselves to me as well. definitely a sleeper.

my top-five (any order since it's still too early) is LSU, ASU, UVA, Texass, FSU. based mainly on returning players/experience. i really like that Florida State team this season. other than getting dominated somewhat in the friday night game against virginia, the series was VERY close. definitely a couple of the best games i've seen so far this season (other than LSU-Ark) between a couple of the best teams this season. i try to TiVo as many games as i can, though.

6. DittyMVP

DittyMVP Founding Member

Kansas then going on a losing streak didn't really help us out, but really baseball standings mean far less than football. Anything in the top 10 doesn't really insult me, though the rankings do seem arbitrary at times.

7. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

UF is getting love this week from the win over FSU earlier in the week

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

maybe so, but i don't think it warrants that much of a jump.

people are trying to rank baseball teams like they would football or basketball teams these days.