Baseball rankings 3/29

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Mar 29, 2010.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

So, BBA has LSU ranked fifth this week (up from seventh.) Florida who they ranked at (a very premature) second last week is now eighth. Arkansas jumped to 10th, Ole Miss is now 11th, South Carolina 12th, Vandy 20th, Bama 25th.

What does this all mean? BBA has been putting entirely too much stock into what a team does in one series versus another. In other words, a team may get hot and sweep someone who is struggling with lineup issues, and BBA jumps the gun and moves them to second (florida last week for example.) Also, they must have thought that Arkansas wasn't a very good team since they dropped LSU a couple of spots after winning 2/3. Now they have them jumping the largest number of spots up to 10th.

Collegiate Baseball is a bit more spot-on in my opinion. They have LSU remaining ranked fourth, virginia third, UCLA second (though I think this is a bit high despite their record,) and Arizona State ranked no. one.

Rivals has LSU at eighth which I think is a bit low. If I were making a top 25 list (and this is the first time in a few weeks that I've watched enough baseball to do it,) my top five would be:

1. ASU - 23-0
    2a. Virginia 20-4
    2b. LSU 20-3
    3. FSU 19-4
    4. GTU - 21-2
    5. Arkansas 18-5

My point is that it is still too early for people to be compiling their rankings the way that they are. With the college baseball season as short as it is, I guess I see their point, but it's like we're seeing the top 25 being written as if it were conference tournament/regional time of the season.

And for the record, I do think Arkansas is that good. The fact that LSU won 2/3 without AR makes me feel nice and tingle inside.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I was pleasantly surprised with their sweep over Bama this weekend. I think we are in good shape.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'd have to put UCLA (20-0) in there somewhere.

4. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

We were 21-6 at this point last year. Finish up with another 20 wins and we should be sitting pretty for a Super. That's really all that matters.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i know that you would. i wouldn't, not just yet. :) not in the top five.

they're undefeated... but, who have they beaten:

vanderbilt 9-2
    mississippi state 5-2
    oklahoma 5-2

no doubt that they're a very good team, but look at all of the teams that are very good this season, they just don't jump out at me as top-five-good... not yet. they have a tough eight-game stretch coming up tomorrow starting with pepperdine. they have stanford and then oregon state. if they can sweep all of that, i'd move them up to number one. :yelwink2:

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yep. it's all that really matters, but basketball is over, football is over, i'm going to get my LSU fix some how. :)

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yep, nowhere near my top-five though. but they are in my favorite for the week for beating tulame.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I would have LSU #2.

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

who would you have number one?