Baseball Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I never said Smoke was a bad coach, I was just pointing out he is not a great coach. Maybe he will continue to get better, we'll see. If we get to omaha and win I'll love him to death. One thing smoke is, is a good recruiter.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Who's (active coaches) better? The Rice coach? Once his pitchers go he's toast. The Miami coach? He hasn't finished above Smoke yet. Stanford? Maybe but I doubt it. Texas? CS Fullerton? Smoke is their equal. All of em I don't know why anyone would have a problem with Laval.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

There were a couple of seasons that not being able to play small ball against some top notch pitchers hurt us. There is no reason why LSU can't do both depending on the circumstances, we definitely have the talent to do it. I definitely like that part of Smokes coaching.:D :D :tigerbase:tigerbase:tigerbase:tigerbase

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

"Recruiter" is about 60% of "coach", especially in baseball where you don't have such intricate game plans, where you don't have so many different techniques to teach, etc. Of the other 40%, 30% is recruiting great pitchers in the case of Rice and Vandy the last 2 years. At LSU it's probably 50/50 pitching and offense as we do pretty darn good at both. And smoke does a pretty good job with the hitters too. I just love listening to him talk about all of the players, he appears to know everything about all of them and also appears to handle them very well, which may be the most important aspect of the "coaching" part in baseball.